DVLA Clamping?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Was on the bus back from Wimborne earlier when I noticed that one of the cars parked at the side of the road ( half on the pavement too of course 😮 ) had a bright yellow clamp bearing the " DVLA " lettering. I wondered if this is something new, perhaps the DVLA is starting to clamp cars without VED?

Baldy

Über Member
Nothing new, I can remember them doing something 25 years ago. Roadside vehicle registration number recognition camera, you have to pay the fine and road tax to get the clamp removed. Not heard of them driving around checking parked cars before but why not.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep nothing new. Report a car that's not taxed or without MOT on their website and they will come and clamp.
I know, I did it with a nasty piece of work driver near my work. She clossed passed me then gave me verbal. I had the last laugh.

Emanresu

Yes the ANPR vans just go up and down roads waiting for the 'ping' from the camera. They continue until they run out of clamps. They can have early finishes some days in some parts of the country. AFAIK it's the release fee plus back tax plus future tax - or off to the scrapyard. The good ones get sold at auction (in Nottingham?)

https://www.johnpye.co.uk/auctions/type/vehicles/

DRM

Guru
Yes the ANPR vans just go up and down roads waiting for the 'ping' from the camera. They continue until they run out of clamps. They can have early finishes some days in some parts of the country. AFAIK it's the release fee plus back tax plus future tax - or off to the scrapyard. The good ones get sold at auction (in Nottingham?)

https://www.johnpye.co.uk/auctions/type/vehicles/

They'd need an articulated lorry full of clamps in Bradford if what my former Police mate says is right.

Drago

Legendary Member
An estimated 1.1 million uninsured, 650,000 driving without a licence. No other class of criminal has it so easy.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
All he said was out with the traffic car, the ANPR never stopped pinging with various combinations of no tax no insurance or mot, it was overwhelming

Probably mostly souped up black BMW's or Audis, with strings of beads wrapped around the rear view mirrors. I doubt they'd ping when passing Fiat 500's, Minis, Ford KA's, etc! 🧐

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Probably mostly souped up black BMW's or Audis, with strings of beads wrapped around the rear view mirrors. I doubt they'd ping when passing Fiat 500's, Minis, Ford KA's, etc! 🧐

Those who "peacock" their cars and add fart noises to their exhausts are also likely to have voided their insurance. I highly doubt the young-uns are reporting their modifications to their insurers as they would likely hike premiums by thousands or simply walk away. Instead the motorist simply exploit the fact that nobody really does anything with regards to modified cars until an accident happens and the insurers walk away and void their insurance when they notice the unreported modifications, often leaving the victims suffering more.

More could be done to tackle this i believe...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Those who "peacock" their cars and add fart noises to their exhausts are also likely to have voided their insurance. I highly doubt the young-uns are reporting their modifications to their insurers as they would likely hike premiums by thousands or simply walk away. Instead the motorist simply exploit the fact that nobody really does anything with regards to modified cars until an accident happens and the insurers walk away and void their insurance when they notice the unreported modifications, often leaving the victims suffering more.

More could be done to tackle this i believe...

I thought there was some kind of 'you will be fully compensated if hit by uninsured drivers' scheme ? 🤔

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I thought there was some kind of 'you will be fully compensated if hit by uninsured drivers' scheme ? 🤔

Aye, through the Motor insurance bureau but there are caveats. You'll likely lose no claims bonus if they are not protected, the process can be more prolonged and complicated and they are funded through the car insurance premiums of others. So, everyone's premiums go up the more claims are made through the MIB.

Top Bottom