Driverless vehicles - Will they change cycling in any ways?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I take you not been on a motorway lately, tailgating is the norm, not the exception these days
Depends where you are. The A1(M) in Huntingdonshire is still wildly oversized and tailgating would be a quick way to get noticed if anyone is watching.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I take you not been on a motorway lately, tailgating is the norm, not the exception these days

Yes I’ve been on a motorway recently 🙄 Tailgating is problem on all our roads. Speed limiting will not be the issue and in fact is more likely to ease it as it become mandatory on a larger proportion of motorised vehicles.

icowden

Veteran
From July cars sold in EU will need to have a speed limiter. We need to see things like this up and running long before anything remotely fully autonomous gets out there.
Cars have had them for donkeys years. No-one ever uses them, and using them is not mandated. Just "having" them.

presta

Guru
Autopilot is 10x safer than the average US human
The problem is that people are motivated by what feels safer, not what is safer. Data like that will be secondary to one well-publicised story about an autopilot steering people into a brick wall.

Alex321

Guru
Cars have had them for donkeys years. No-one ever uses them, and using them is not mandated. Just "having" them.

Not the type which are going to be a legal requirement on all cars sold from next month in the UK or EU.

The ones most cars have had for years are the type where the driver chooses the limit to set. The type which will be mandatory are the type which set the limit automatically to the speed limit, detected either by road signs or by use of GPS and a database, or a combination of the two.

It’s going to become mandatory and about time.

It is not going to become mandatory to use them, although they will always be "on" by default. You will be able to override by pressing firmly on the accelerator, but they will be back on the next time you start the car ( I think in most cases they will also turn back on as soon as your speed falls below what they think the current limit is).

simongt

Guru
It’s going to become mandatory and about time.
But won't be too long after that when someone comes up with a way of overriding the speed limters. :whistle:
Just sayin'.

DRM

Guru
But won't be too long after that when someone comes up with a way of overriding the speed limters. :whistle:
Just sayin'.

It's dead easy, you press the accelerator hard to disable it, just as you would with a fitted speed limiter that's set manually on current cars

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I would like to see so called safe autonomous vehicle tech in manually driven cars first. Hsve it override the driver if they are about to do something stupid. Prove it prevents close passes, overtaking into a restriction etc etc. Prove its really as safe as their statements claim.

Last edited:
Top Bottom