Does anyone still mend punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

You should invest in some decent tyres, mate :whistle:
y nah they're not down to the carcasse yet !

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Been riding the tourer lately. Found a couple of innertubes in the shed suitable for 32c tyres so put them in the rack bag. only noticed today that they have schrader valves so wouldn't have fitted anyway. Saw. Lots of folk with unplanned deflations on an Audax I did last week but felt confident having the 2 spares.Fortunately didn't need them. Halfords are doing 3 tubes for the price of two so I invested a tenner in 3presta tubes so can feel smug again. Had one deflation in. 4500 miles last year hope my luck holds out.

GlenBen

Über Member
I have 3 tubes, 2 on the bike, 1 in the bag. I swap tubes on the road and repair at home also, unless I get 2 punctures and am forced to repair at the roadside.

Sara_H

Guru
I've only had to fix one, that was my sons bike. Used his spare and got OH repair tube when we got home.

Christopher

Über Member
I always fix, probably irrationally. I have fixed and used tubes found at the side of the road (or fished out of a bin in one case!) but only have about a 50% success rate with them. Hardest to fix are snakebites on a 23mm tube. Have peeled patches off dead tubes and used them as well, have tried using the inner tube itself but could not get it to hold. With narrow tubes I put them in an old front wheel, put 100 psi in them and see if the patch holds 0 if it fails then it goes into the spares bin - haves used old tubes as chainstay protectors, ice axe handle covers and pony training aids.

I have been finding that cheap Continental tubes (the ones made in China) have an irritating habit of failing where the valve base joins the tube. Won't be buying them again!

Kies

Don't the bubbles get into your eyes?

yello

Hardest to fix are snakebites on a 23mm tube.

And I'd say that is my most likely p*ncture - from hitting a pothole or stone in the road. Obviously, you try and avoid such things.

I have loads of patches (left over from kits where the glue has dried up!). Most are big enough to encircle the tube but none of those little circular ones that get used on 23 or 25mm tubes. So, for me, any repairing session commences by buying glue and a strip of small patches! Given my doubts about quality and repair effectiveness, I could easily prefer the piece of mind of having a new tube.

oldroadman

Veteran
tube, then patch at home, put the patched one back in so I have a none patched one as a spare. If it's a latex one I bin it, but only had one visit in the last year.
2 spares with me and a patch kit. I am soon to venture into the world of tubs for racing, so will get ready for some walking :-)

Latex seem to puncture less, probably because they are more flexible and it needs a sharp penetration to pop them. They do make the ride nicer due to suppleness, though. Back in the day (when God was a boy and I was a junior) everyone smply used heavy tubs (13/14 oz in old money) for training and all riding, carrying two wrapped in a bit of newspaper strapped behind the saddle. Never needed more than one but it felt secure. I'm amazed that today so many people racing at club level don't bother with a spare and gas cylinder in small races, then expect someone else to collect them if they puncture! When I was a lad we used to....(cont'd P. 94)

endoman

I don't think the type of tube has any bearing on puncture resistance. Just find that the latex ones are harder to refit without pinching / tearing. My races will be TT's so if I flat I'm out. I'll make my way back slowly on the tub.

Top Bottom