Did he do anything wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I’d also hope that the police officer would take a more engaging approach rather than launch straight into alpha male dominance.

yes true, being polite goes a long way in encouraging understanding and adherance to the law. If he'd have said that to me, I would have followed the advice obviously, but couldn't help but think he was being an obnoxious d1ck and maybe making up the rules

Ajax Bay

Guru
Ultimately the driver or a motor vehicle commits an offence if they fail to obey any instruction given by a constable in uniform, so if the bobby didn't think it was appropriate he can quite lawfully order the rider not to. And that's the end of that.
As an aside, if a constable in uniform is in his private car seeks to pull over a driver/vehicle, is it a lawful order? Or to put it the other way, does a driver have to pull over if another car with someone who might be a constable driver but who knows tries to 'make them'.
I had this a very long time ago (I stopped) and have always pondered whether I should've just carried on (I realised when he told me the reason (crossing double white lines) that he must have 'chased' me, in traffic on a busy single carriageway A3 for at least 5 miles).
We're talking Dixon of Dock Green (in his Morry 1000).

Drago

Legendary Member
As an aside, if a constable in uniform is in his private car seeks to pull over a driver/vehicle, is it a lawful order? Or to put it the other way, does a driver have to pull over if another car with someone who might be a constable driver but who knows tries to 'make them'.
I had this a very long time ago (I stopped) and have always pondered whether I should've just carried on (I realised when he told me the reason (crossing double white lines) that he must have 'chased' me, in traffic on a busy single carriageway A3 for at least 5 miles).

Yes. It's the constable that must be in uniform. He could be on a pogo stick or a hanglider, and provided he or she is in uniform it's lawful.

While they might be on a rest day or after hours, etc, a constable is never "off duty" in the sense their powers remain the same at midnight on a Saturday while on annual leave as they are at 1400hrs on a Wednesday while at work.

Last edited:

Gillstay

Veteran
yes true, being polite goes a long way in encouraging understanding and adherance to the law. If he'd have said that to me, I would have followed the advice obviously, but couldn't help but think he was being an obnoxious d1ck and maybe making up the rules

I bet a few of his work mates would not be impressed. Creating resentment doesn't help policing.

presta

Guru
Aren't cones like double white lines? They don't mean no overtaking, they mean no crossing the line. What if the motorcycle was overtaking a push bike?

Isn't it just a difference of opinion about whether the space available for overtaking is 'enough' or not?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Of maybe he was using tactical communications appropriate to the situation? That there was not immediate and complete acquiescence shows that quietly going "would you mind awfully..." like Sergeant Wilson not going to work.

icowden

Veteran
My great uncle when be was a lowly sergeant in the police attending a rail station on crowd duty due to death on line. Due to staffing issues with the BTP they asked for help from the local constabulary for volunteers. My great uncle got volunteered by his boss who thought it best to assign to an experienced officer. It was to walk the line, identify and actually pick up body parts! Apparently a train impact at speed creates a mess over a good mile or so.
If you go far enough back the same is true of aircraft. My granddad was a Spitfire pilot and one of the worst jobs they had to do was when planes returned badly damaged / crash landed on the runway where they had to gather up the bits that were left of the crew so that they could be returned to loved ones.

Top Bottom