Di2 Firmware update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BikeLiker

I've got an internal battery charger (SM-BCR2) and an SM EW90 A junction box. I've been told (by a not wholly reliable source) that, with these, I do not need the SM PCE1 PC connector to do a firmware upgrade and programme multi shifting. I can just plug the USB cable from a PC with E Tube installed into the charger and connect it to the junction box.
Has anyone done this or know whether it is possible?

OP
OP
BikeLiker

BikeLiker

Thanks for that. Just found your Di2 thread - plenty of really useful stuff to read:thumbsup:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Who ever told you that?
The SM-PCE1 is a diagnostic unit which can push data and read signals.. How does. Junction box and a battery charger determine if you have firm wear let alone if it needs updating.
http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/install.html

The SM-PCE1 also comes with drivers for the PC and Mac which allows it to interact with the soft wear, the charger has no drivers. I have rebuilt a lot of batteries for Di2 (I do internal seat post conversions) and they have nothing which suggests they can do this imho

Multishift on Ultegra Di2 is also lacking, the servo's are not fast enough to do it well and a side effect is increased cassette wear.

OP
OP
BikeLiker

BikeLiker

Who ever told you that?
The SM-PCE1 is a diagnostic unit which can push data and read signals.. How does. Junction box and a battery charger determine if you have firm wear let alone if it needs updating.
http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/install.html

The SM-PCE1 also comes with drivers for the PC and Mac which allows it to interact with the soft wear, the charger has no drivers. I have rebuilt a lot of batteries for Di2 (I do internal seat post conversions) and they have nothing which suggests they can do this imho

Multishift on Ultegra Di2 is also lacking, the servo's are not fast enough to do it well and a side effect is increased cassette wear.

It was a bloke (not an employee) in my LBS. According to the e tube install guide there is a driver for the charger:
"In order to use the SM-PCE1/SM-BCR2 while it is connected to a PC, you need to install the driver for the SM-PCE1/SM-BCR2."
I suppose all the data transfer / updating could be handled by the PC, using the charger as a simple electronic circuit? Is there any other reason why a PC driver for the charger would be supplied?

EDIT: Just found this thread - Post #6 seems to suggest something similar:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/co...2-firmware-update-buy-sm-pce1-lbs-305598.html

Mr Haematocrit

It does most certainly seem the case looking into this a little further. I can't say I have tried it as I own the SM-PCE1 so have never needed to.

My own concerns with trying this would be that should you have any issues, the battery charger is not capable of diagnostics. Upon reflection I would either have a shop do it or buy the diagnostic kit and do it correctly with the ability to troubleshoot.

Mr Haematocrit

Cool thx for the update.. Learn something new every day

Top Bottom