DHB's death throes - zombie Wiggle's final stock clearance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
No doubt most of us are aware of Wiggle / CRC's fate earlier in the year - the end coming in the form of scumbag Mike Ashley buying up the IP rights and remaining stock after a fairly protracted fire sale.

While it's unclear what will happen to the DHB brand it seems that there's no appetite to continue the existing product lines as what remains is being sold off at increasing discount on the resurrected Wiggle website (as well as all the others in the group that it now only serves as another front for - Fraisers, Evans, Shite Direct... ).

Arguably of most interest is what remains of the 100% Merino baselayer range; which was always very well regarded. I'm extremely happy with the examples I bought before Wiggle / CRC finally died - to the extent that I wish I'd bought more while I had the opportunity.

What's left of the men's stuff is restricted to a few short-sleeved examples at £23; although they're offering a further 20% off which makes them cheaper than the £20 they bottomed out at in the original sale.

The ladies apparently fare a bit better; with available sizes still limited (larger stuff has gone, mostly 10/12 left) but the full range of short sleeve / long sleeve / long sleeve with zip neck is still represented to some extent. The SS jobs seem like a proper steal at a little over £11ea after discount (although bear in mind there's a mininum of a fiver postage). If they're as good as the men's range they're well worth hoovering up while the opportunity remains..

Here's a link to all the Merino stuff - the base layers are great and pure wool, the other stuff (such as the jerseys) tends to be less-well-reviewed and typically a mix of wool and synthetic (compostions are listed on the DHB website). Obviously there's other DHB stuff too that might be worth a look; however this was always a bit more variable and it can be hard to pin down reviews of the exact products, while there are none on the website..

:smile:

Tom B

Guru
Yeabbut it still involves buying things from Ashley

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Yeabbut it still involves buying things from Ashley

This is very true, although all the old stock was initially being offered at full price which didn't fly so hopefully he's not making much on the reduced prices.. plus stock is finite and if we don't buy it, someone else will.

Totally agree on principal though - would never buy anything from him otherwise.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

And I think not through much fault of the stuff or indeed Wiggle or CRC. More the fact the was sold to a bigger entity who tripped up.

To quote Thom Yorke - "the big fish eat the little ones"...

As the original Wiggle / CRC monster grew I always tried to avoid it as I disliked the effect they were having on smaller retailers; so always tried to buy from smaller independents if possible. Now I find myself feeling sorry for Wiggle / CRC after being swallowed up and gutted by an even bigger, unscrupulous corporate monster..

I guess this situation could work in favour of the smaller sellers and while Wiggle / CRC offered genuinely decent stuff at very competitive prices, it seems that Ashley's model is the old bait-and-switch of buying respected brands then slashing quality and peddling rubbish off the back of past reputation.. I expect this to happen to all of the Wiggle / CRC stuff too (which is a real shame) so anyone after decent products will have to shop elsewhere.

The fruits of my probably-final piece of shameless carcass-picking arrived yesterday - some more short-sleeved base layers, a hoodie and some quicklinks.

The base layers are a known quantity and will be snaffled away with the rest of the unused ones; the three examples I've been using since march are holding up well and I hope I have enough to last me out :tongue:

The hoodie is the DHB "merino trail" - I deliberated over one of these in the last sale as there were no reviews and they were still fairly pricey; missing out when they closed the sites down. Scored this one for about 30% of its original £120rrp and I'm really impressed - nice fit, fabric feels good (it's only 29% merino however) and it seems like decent quality. It's certainly far better than anything else I could put my hands on for similar money. These have evidently been a poor seller which I think is a shame, and if they run another sale I might grab another. I was tempted to use it for the commute but tbh it seems far too nice for that..

Finally the quicklinks were a surprise - "SRAM 9sp power link" for £2. Sod all info on the site but the SRAM site suggests they're re-useable and supposedly retail for £15 although many have them for around £3ea. States SRAM chains only but I think / hope it'll fit the KMC on my Fuji; time will tell. The best bit was that while I was expecting one link / regretting not buying more after witnessing the state of the existing one on the Fuji, what arrived (rightly or wrongly) was a pack of four; so that was a win :smile:

i've grabbed a thermal longsleeve jersey. was looking at the merino stuff but wasn't sure about it
do you have any of these
the 'Aeron Men's Merino Long Sleeve Jersey 2.0' or 'Merino Long Sleeve Jersey 2.0'. it would have to be a medium for me

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

i've grabbed a thermal longsleeve jersey. was looking at the merino stuff but wasn't sure about it
do you have any of these
the 'Aeron Men's Merino Long Sleeve Jersey 2.0' or 'Merino Long Sleeve Jersey 2.0'. it would have to be a medium for me

I think they're both the same but just different colours and different mannequins used for the photos... I steered clear as reviews were mixed, I wasn't keen on either of the colours and they're potentially a bit too racing-snake-centric for my uses.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I got the OH some DHB overshoes for £7 /£11.99.

Top Bottom