Desk / computer workstation fettling thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Über Member
Nothing but work supplied or approved to be plugged into work laptop and everything to be wired too. No wireless.
Who do you work for, MI5?! No don't tell me, I don't want you to have to kill me! :laugh:
I know people who have done IT contract work for MoD and they were strict, e.g locking private phones away, but could still use wireless mice.

It's ridiculous TBH. We call that kind of thing "security theatre", ie. going over the top, look at how secure we are etc.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Who do you work for, MI5?! No don't tell me, I don't want you to have to kill me! :laugh:
I know people who have done IT contract work for MoD and they were strict, e.g locking private phones away, but could still use wireless mice.

It's ridiculous TBH. We call that kind of thing "security theatre", ie. going over the top, look at how secure we are etc.

Are you sure your don't want to know. I know 5 ways with my little finger alone that'll be quick! :okay:

Seriously, contractual requirements. And no I'm not going to tell you.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I got my hands on one of those kneeling chairs and whilst it initially felt revolutionary... after a few weeks i began to hate it. I persevered for a few months before going back to a standard chair. I think there's a reason they're not ubiquitous.

I have to have two completely separate setups due to work and personal equipment cannot be used together. Nothing but work supplied or approved to be plugged into work laptop and everything to be wired too. No wireless. So that is laptop, monitor, keyboard and mouse (both standard / cheapo HP).

On the two setups I was going to suggest a switching box (your work would need to supply or approve that I think) - that way you can use the same monitors, keyboards, mice etc and just choose which computer you are working with as it'll switch between personal and work. But just to clarify though are they insisting that you have seperate periphials as well so you need 2 x monitors, 2 x keyboards, 2 x mouse etc bcause that seems like overkill?

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Perhaps but I intend to get a sit stand desk before it so I would intend to not sit in it for long. Alternate between sitting and standing often. I am a pacer so I have no idea how standing will work for me. It could result in me dancing around as I work.

I hyper focus on some things so it can be nearly 2 hours without moving much. Some days I have ended up in pain from working at my desk despite the setup isn't too bad. I think I intend to get a timer on the desk that some brands have to tell you to change the position to or from sitting. I think that is a good thing.

My issue is that I do not find conventional and conventional ergo office chairs work well for me. I tend not to find the back fits me no matter how much adjustment is possible. For example I have never managed to get a chair that feels comfortable with the back. I tend to sit clear of the backrest and move around a bit. Plus I suspect you need to really, really spend a lot to get a chair truly suitable for someone 196cm like me.

Dadam

Über Member
Changing position frequently is good. I've read a bit of research in this area and a lot of the orthodoxy around workstation setup is misguided, i.e "slouching" isn't necessarily bad as long as you don't stay in that position a long time. Sitting bolt upright as traditionally advised, again, is ok but not for a long time as it means more weight is pressing down directly through the spine.

When standing I often pace around a bit, especially on calls as it helps me think. Also frequently do yoga type stretching exercises, or just alternating standing on one leg for a while.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Here is our easy adjust monitor height arrangement

image.jpg
Probably more flexible and less wasted space than some gadget or table thing.

I tended to just use my laptop keyboard, but there is something to be said for a separate one too.

The right glasses make a difference too, at least for the mature gentleman like myself. PC screen is further away than I'd want for reading glasses but still likely need some sort of non-distance glasses

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
On the two setups I was going to suggest a switching box (your work would need to supply or approve that I think) - that way you can use the same monitors, keyboards, mice etc and just choose which computer you are working with as it'll switch between personal and work. But just to clarify though are they insisting that you have seperate periphials as well so you need 2 x monitors, 2 x keyboards, 2 x mouse etc bcause that seems like overkill?
I doubt that would be accepted. The rules are clear in that work supplied laptop, wired mouse, wired keyboard, 4way usb, wired headset, monitor with stand and laptop rucksack. These are standard issue and are the only things you can connect to your work laptop. We are also not allowed to connect any of our own IT kit to work kit. So whilst I think the work hp monitor might be a bit better than my personal one it can not be used for personal use.

However there is wriggle room in that you can ask for permission for something but that needs to go through probably several hoops and someone, somewhere is putting their neck out if they give permission. That is why it probably doesn't happen that often.

Within the system you can request reasonable adjustments for various reasons not just diability issues. For example older people who need reading glasses can get VDE glasses or contribution to it. You can also ask for a larger monitor or two monitors or two larger monitors, especially if you are using large spreadsheets or have disabilities that warrant it. Also headphones of a noise cancelling type or dictation software etc. If you get two monitors or you have issues getting a comfortable and safe setup you can ask and get monitor stands to raise it up higher. You can also get up to £80 for a desk and the same for an office chair for you to use for work. There might be something in the rules about only buying from posturite uk website. If I am correct in reading that then there are no chairs or desks for £80!! More likely well over £200!!!

It is very much about security but also about doing something to comply with various workplace legislations too. To a point I reckon. For example I have a bad arm (tennis elbow) so I will be requesting a vertical mouse and ergo / split keyboard as soon as my line manager is back from holiday. I need to put the case forward and the line manager has to approve. Then the department project manager looking after budgets has to approve because it gets charged back to the department (which is a cost centre on the whole company not a profit centre such as production / operations whose bills get charged to the customer). So all this means is that I can get my personal setup as good as I can, as part of this my work setup benefits such as the standing desk and better chair. The work setup can only match completely my personal setup if I get the split keyboard and ergo mouse from work. I doubt my desk would take three laptops, so I can't really request a second monitor.

Of course one option, since I am in a corner position, I could move my personal setup to the left (currently right). This would allow me to get a wall mount for my personal monitor (not if I want a true standing setup but I could perhaps get a desk mount instead to mount it into the corner more). Then I move the work ones to the right hand side out of the corner with two monitors angled in from the right. That might be an impressive desk setup but would be tight I think. Then I only have to work out what the wall shelves above my desk and the various desk tidies I have can go.

Setting up a home office well takes a lot of effort and work.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Here is our easy adjust monitor height arrangement

View attachment 743911 Probably more flexible and less wasted space than some gadget or table thing.

I tended to just use my laptop keyboard, but there is something to be said for a separate one too.

The right glasses make a difference too, at least for the mature gentleman like myself. PC screen is further away than I'd want for reading glasses but still likely need some sort of non-distance glasses

My old work one was a large supplier catalogue (A4 and 6" thick) with old QS9000 manual set on top and finally a laptop stand to hold my laptop which I used as the monitor with wired kehyhboard and wireless mouse. My partner uses an old university course book that is about 3 or 4" thick.

My personal monitor is going to get the academic book treatment shortly. I just need to find the right academic books. I cannot accept any of my partners arty farrty course books but most of my course books (engineering) are only A5 or A5 and less than an inch thick. Too many thin books make the stack I need unstable. I might pay a visit to a local secondhand bookstore and do a deal on thick books I can be proud of being on show. :laugh: Yes I am a snob!!!!

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I think I have a 3" chemistry book from my first degree and a few 2" quality and engineering books I could use. I estimate about 8-10" extra height for my personal and 2-4" for work monitor. This is to just get the height right then I might make a wooden box solution to be more secure after that.

Dadam

Über Member
At my first employer the sought after monitor raising solution was the manuals for the database environment we used. There were two books about 2" thick but they came in very stout card box covers with open fronts, which would easily take the weight of a CRT monitor on their own. So you could stand your monitor on the pair of boxes, and the manuals were right at hand and easily accessible as they could just slide out of the front.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I should fully read profpoint's post better and reply in one post ut I didn't.

Anyway, when first WFH I went for an eye test and bought new glasses then a few weeks later I went back to ask for reading glasses. I had already discussed this with the optician so there are a special prescription for that waiting in my file. Basically I went to my eye test with a set of dimensions for the distance range I needed to read at based on my work setup at that time. I gave him a minimum and a maximum distance. First was for writing on a notebook in front of me. The second was for a monitor at the back of the desk at eye level (or as close to it as I managed at the time).

This is what I am using now. It really helps and makes a big difference. I only wish I had got different frames for both sets of spectacles!! Seriously they are nearly the same, same model and size. The only difference is due to them being made from recycled and recovered fishing nets plastic. This means slight variation. Reading glasses are ever so slightly lighter. I can not see the difference as I only see in colour blocks not shade variation. This means I have a setup where the glasses case location determines and shows which glasses I am wearing. Or I have to ask my partner or son to tell me which is lighter. Mildly annoying as I cannot really tell the difference in prescription if I am tired anyway or my eyes are.

I doubt that would be accepted. The rules are clear in that work supplied laptop, wired mouse, wired keyboard, 4way usb, wired headset, monitor with stand and laptop rucksack. These are standard issue and are the only things you can connect to your work laptop. We are also not allowed to connect any of our own IT kit to work kit. So whilst I think the work hp monitor might be a bit better than my personal one it can not be used for personal use.

However there is wriggle room in that you can ask for permission for something but that needs to go through probably several hoops and someone, somewhere is putting their neck out if they give permission. That is why it probably doesn't happen that often.
Setting up a home office well takes a lot of effort and work.
Its does and it sounds like you have some quite strict policies to work with, I'm quite lucky that we can use a lot of our own kit though their are still certain restrictions. Personally my office only contains my work PC, my own PC lives in the living room where I do my own casual work. I think the way you describe you're going to need 2 desks, or at least 1 very large one.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Just received my new split keyboard. Oh my the typing speed is right down on my normal. I could simply switch from compact laptop keyboard to larger wired one without any issues but this is difficult switching to a tented, split keyboard. It is like I am learning to type, although the truth is I am learning where the split in the keys are. I am getting better and starting to like it now though. Think I will get the split keybaord from work too now.

I use my own laptop on my desk but also standalone in the lving room, even the bedroom resting on my knee. This desk based setup will help though so happy with the changes I have made so far though.

I have a work laptop that looks like a standard 100x100mm VESA mount. The older monitor for personal use that I "borrowed" from my partner I am not so sure about. It looks like the existing mount slips up into a slot in the back rather thant the VESA standard square screwhole arrangement. Anyone know what fixing point types there are other than VESA 100x100mm or VESA 75x75mm industry standards?

Top Bottom