Derailleur compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
For example Shimano deor derailleur’s

What is the difference between an 8 speed and a 10 speed MTB derailleur

Are they interchangeable in either direction

T4tomo

Legendary Member
quite a bit.

I think 8&9 speed are interchangeable as they use the same cable pull ratio from the shifter, but the 10 speed uses a different ratio, so if 10spd RD used with an 8 speed shifter, it wont work.

richardfm

Veteran
quite a bit.

I think 8&9 speed are interchangeable as they use the same cable pull ratio from the shifter, but the 10 speed uses a different ratio, so if 10spd RD used with an 8 speed shifter, it wont work.

Wouldn't it work with an 8 speed cassette or freewheel as long as it had capacity for the largest and smallest sprocket?

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
Wouldn't it work with an 8 speed cassette or freewheel as long as it had capacity for the largest and smallest sprocket?

That might be the limiting factor there.

Some derailleurs might not reach the largest cogs. Or the diameter of the cog

Alex321

Guru
Does it work because both derailleur’s are the same and the indexing is all in the shifter or am i still missing something

Yes.

Each click of the shifter pulls (or releases) a set amount of cable, and the derailleur is designed so that amount of cable movement shifts it one gear.

Whereas of course with a friction shifter, you pull it the right amount yourself, and stop when it shifts.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
What if you use a friction shifter

The 10 speed deore derailluer requires more total cable pull that an 8 speed friction shifter can do. You won’t be able to shift through all the gears. You need a newer 11 speed shifter in friction mode like Microshift do. Then you’ll be able to get the full range of gears across whatever speed you are running at the back.

I run the Microshift 11 speed in friction, with 10 speed RD, and 9 speed cassette.

Last edited:
Top Bottom