Debating another bike; Ribble CGR AL Sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thinking out loud here. Comments welcome.

On the fleet I have:

• 1995 Ridgeback Adventure
  • 2015 Wilier Tiestrina Montegreppa
  • Ribble CGR Ti with Ultegra
  • Trek District 4
  • 2013 Spesh Hardrock
  • 2013 Spesh Langster

The Ridgeback, I've had a long time. I think the frame is a bit small for me. Can't say it's been comfortable. I seem to break it as often as I ride it. Until it last broke, I was using it for trailer towing and for any trip that meant leaving a bike locked up for any length of time.

The Wilier, I bought when I got back into regular cycling, late last summer. I rode it, fixed what was wrong with it (wheels/chain/cassette), and then switched to the Ridgeback when winter came.

I really enjoy the CGR. I'm fast on it. It's comfortable. I could ride it all day, day after day. I bought it with the intention of using it year-round and also using it for the majority of my riding. But then I discovered chain waxing and the thing has really only been used for long weekend rides. It has been kept clean and babied. And I don't mind that.

The Trek District I use regularly for my 'faux commute'. I use it just to get exercise. I can just jump on it and go, more or less. It's nice relaxed riding. It's on the heavy side. It's a bit slow. But it's comfortable for shorter rides and I couldn't look further from the stereotypical MAMIL riding it, which I think attracts less unwanted attention in this backwater.

The Hardrock I use on canal paths and trails. And sometimes for the 'faux commute'. It's not getting much use at the moment, but I suspect I'll be back on the trails with it soon.

The Langster was a cheap impulse buy. Might be my default choice for trips where I have to leave a bike locked up for a stint, at least on dry days - if it proves to be comfortable enough. No provision for rack or mudguards limit its practicality. Needs a bit more work before I can ride it/try it out. I used to really enjoy riding fixed (Pearson Hanzo and Spesh Tricross Single) and got on with it quite well.

Recently, I've started riding the Wilier again to see how I get on with it now I have some fitness (and flexibility) back. I've fitted some race blades, as I planning on using it has a winter hack. But having taken myself out for a few rides on it, I've concluded that I really don't like it. I'm too cramped on it, with the short reach and lowish cockpit. And I'm also quite slow on it and I don't climb very well on it, even though it's got half decent tyres and it's fairly light at under 9kg, equipped.

Previously, I was thinking of replacing the Ridgeback with a touring bike - something with a triple so as to have a good wide range of gears to cater for trailer towing/hauling. And a good stack height to be comfortable for long distance rides where pace doesn't really matter. And a long wheel base with plenty of trail for stability.

But now, with continuing to find the Wilier uncomfortable - especially so after clocking up a good number of miles on the CGR - I'm thinking that has to go too.

Given that I find the CGR Ti so comfortable, I'm contemplating snagging a CGR Alu whilst they are on sale and before they Ribble phase them out in favour of their new All Road bike. It will be a little high geared for touring/towing - so some changes will be needed there. There are currently two builds available - one with Tiagra and one with mechanical 105. See here.

Temptation is to go for the Tiagra build, subject to what I can do to get some twiddly gears on it.

Anyone to chip in with their 2p?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I'd just use your existing CGR Ti, It doesn't need to be treated like a baby.
Just ride it.

I have the CGR - I find it very heavy and couldn't get comfy on it. The 10 speed tiagra I can't fault though.

Good morning,
......... I'm contemplating snagging a CGR Alu whilst they are on sale and before they Ribble phase them out in favour of their new All Road bike.......
I remember reading that you got the Ti in a "sale", I bought an ALe earlier this year also "on sale".

However I have been looking at the Ribble site over the last couple of years and have drifted into the view that the non sale prices are well over the top for a mail order seller who just assembles parts from around the world, for me they do nothing to justify a premium price.

I paid £2k for the Ale and feel that it is okay for the price, I would have been very disappointed had I paid the non sale £2.5k, especially as I almost bought one about 18 months ago and it was on sale at £1.6k

The ALe frame appears to me to be very basic, there is nothing wrong with it just basic, so its seems risky to assume that just because you like the Ti frame that there will be a family resemblance with the aluminium frame. After all It's not as if they had the same design team designing both frames from scratch.

So if you want the bike then fine buy it, but if you are buying it because it is reduced to £1k from £1.4k is this really a great deal when compared with say a Boardman 8.6 or 8.9 or the Van Rysel Road NCR or EDF? None of these are offering identical specs but to my mind show the Ribble to be nothing special in terms of price or features.

I split my commute between the ALe when I am feeling lazy and a newish 753 steel framed bike (surely a Sunday best) when I am feeling energetic and have never gotten into the idea of a "best bike" only to be ridden when it is sunny. Even at the sale price the Ti wasn't a small amount of money, so enjoy it until breaks and maybe just put £20 a month away to cover these costs.
I also have a used Halfords Carrera Virtuoso, functionally it is fine and it is a brilliant value for money bike, but I would never choose it for a pleasure ride.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get the tape measure out then fix the issues with the Willier. Then go out and get a full suspension MTB. You've too much similar bikes in the stable.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I think buy the bike if you want it, if you're mostly certain you will get it anyway and need a little push, I'm here for ya! It's a great bike, you're already comfortable on it so it's all good.

But, if I had your fleet, I wouldn't do it. I would just use your current CGR.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

However I have been looking at the Ribble site over the last couple of years and have drifted into the view that the non sale prices are well over the top for a mail order seller who just assembles parts from around the world, for me they do nothing to justify a premium price.
I think that's a little unfair to Ribble. They do have shops (sorry showrooms). They do regularly run events where you can try the bikes. They do spend money on R&D. The don't have the greatest reputation for aftersales, but in my experience they were very good.

Thank you for the suggestions.

The Boardman SLR 8.6 has clearance for 25mm tyres with mudguards fitted. And is rim brake only.
The SLR 8.9 has clearance for 28 mm tyres with mudguards and is Carbon Fibre. There is at least a disc brake opton - and at £1750, it's a good price, considering it's Shimano 105.

The Van Rysel NCR and the EDR don't look to have practicalities in mind at all. And if you want disc brakes, it looks like carbon fibre is your only choice?

I'm not sure I really want a Carbon Fibre bike - I'm just too clumsy! :P

As for the "best bike" thing - that wasn't really intended - but then I wasn't really planning on the mileage that I am or going out with the 'fast group' most weekends and it seems silly to wear it out on short and wet rides where pace and longer distance comfort don't really matter so much. And then there's the not wanting to leave it locked up out-of-sight thing.

Then go out and get a full suspension MTB

Ha! Interesting idea. Don't think I've ever wanted one. I'm probably much more likely to buy an exotic sports car. The hard tail will cover anything I'm likely to try and tackle!

The Bars on the Wilier come up 6 cm lower and 4 cm shorter in reach relative to the CGR. Looks like the steerer has been shortened, although there's still a couple of smaller spacers on it. The current stem on there is 90cm. I can at least swap that for 100cm stem I've got in stock and see what difference it makes. Maybe have a hunt for a stem with a bit more rise on it.

Anyway thanks for the thoughts.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Personally I'd not go with another Ribble as I also think they're pricey, while new bikes seems ridiculous compared to what used stuff's going for.

On top of that if you're in the habit of getting precious about stuff (as I am as well) buying used should help alleviate the burden of using the bike in less than ideal conditions.

Personally I'd want steel (I always want steel) however if you're looking for a cheap ally road bike people are almost giving them away.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

Realised after posting the above, that Focus Atlas is not available in a medium.

But I did find this. I had a look at the geometry and it's fairly close to the CGR. Has about 2cm less stack, more or less the same reach, 0.5 degree more seat tube angle, 0.5 degree less head tube hangle. At 11 kg it is on the chunky side. Brakes ... well I have never heard of 'C-Star' but at least they look to be flat mount which provides a clear upgrade path if needed.

It's one by with a range from 98.2 inches at the top end to 25.7 inches at the bottom end. Looks like I could swap the 40T chainring out easily for a 38T or 36T, the latter giving a 23.7 inch low gear which should be fine for trailer towing.

Not sure how good the Microshift groupset is - cheap and cheerful hopefully. Carbon steel cassette, so I expect corrosion will be an issue.

Perfect versatile winter 'hack' or is it closer to a bike shaped object? I'm tempted to find out...

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

This is settled.

I ordered a Felt Broam 30, courtesy of Merlin Cycles. Some SKS Bluemells mudguards and a pair of Contental Urban Contact tyres, which seem like a good choice for a Winter road bike/fast touring bike.

I have the rack originally bought for the CGR to fit.

Now to set about re-homing the Wilier (probably gifting to a friend) and the Ridgeback (to be donated to local bike recyling project).

Top Bottom