Daytime running lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I remain unconvinced that it's a big deal either way. I will continue to leave my rear lights on for my all day rides through the gloomy sunken lanes of Kent. Not because I think it's going to save my life or anything dramatic like that but because at this time of year the days are so short it's two extra faffing stops I can avoid.

I've seen the "selfishness" argument before and it doesn't convince me.

You need to start your rides before 3:30pm😂

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I remain unconvinced that it's a big deal either way. I will continue to leave my rear lights on for my all day rides through the gloomy sunken lanes of Kent. Not because I think it's going to save my life or anything dramatic like that but because at this time of year the days are so short it's two extra faffing stops I can avoid.

I've seen the "selfishness" argument before and it doesn't convince me.
Have to say, I agree totally.
Any data kicking around?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No light switch on the handlebars? Stopping to put lights on and off is so 1970s. ;)

Which step do you disagree with?
I did have a bar mounted switch for a while but it was an overcomplicated setup that I didn't like. It's now in a box in my garage.

I don't specifically disagree with the selfishness hypothesis. It seems not impossible. What I've never seen is any quantified assessment of the incremental risk to non-DLR-ing cyclists as a result of selfish DLR-ing cyclists. My suspicion is that any signal would be lost in lots and lots of noise.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
DRLs on cars are a curse. I have a small grey car made before DRLs were mandatory on new models. It now feels dangerous driving it without the headlights on in the daytime.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I must confess I on seeing the title I thought that this would be on car DRLs, so it seems a bit unfair to castigate those who thought the same. After all, that is the standard industry term for them!

It is difficult to see DRLs on vehicles as a good thing. It's already been mentioned that they make seeing indicators considerably more difficult. I've also seen a good many motorists drive around at night just on DRLs - they've been fooled into thinking that they've got their headlights on with all the light they put out. Unfortunately that's not the case: the tail lights are not illuminated, and it's surprising just how well some cars blend into the background at night without tail lights.

But the worst aspect is how DRLs condition motorists to look for lighted vehicles. This is obviously to the detriment to pedestrians and unlit cyclists. But even cyclists with lights are at a serious disadvantage as DRLs are significantly brighter than even the best cyclist lights, which are thus likely to be lost in the ever more brightly lit clutter. This is a "safety" innovation that I fear will materially worsen the safety of vulnerable road users.

As to the original question, I can't blame @Thegreatthor for thinking about using lights during the day. If you feel safer using them, then by all means, light up. It's not cyclists that are the problem here.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
My rear light is always on, I will use a flashing front on days where I feel necessesary (like really dull overcast days) or at dusk before changing to solid beam.

They are an annoyance on cars (inc mine) that seems to have drivers believing their headlights are on, and a blinding annoyance on motorbikes (esp BMW adventure types)*

*I also have a DRL on motorbike, fork leg mounted, aimed properly and not overly bright, not a 6million lumen chinese example

Drago

Legendary Member
The big Beemers have the right idea though. The optimum layout is a triangle, and they often have one on each crash bar and then the dim-dip headlamp. The observer can then see the triangle increasing in size, and their brain has the necessary datum to accurately calculate speed. A single light source cannot do that.

Smudge

Veteran
My rear light is always on, I will use a flashing front on days where I feel necessesary (like really dull overcast days) or at dusk before changing to solid beam.

They are an annoyance on cars (inc mine) that seems to have drivers believing their headlights are on, and a blinding annoyance on motorbikes (esp BMW adventure types)*

*I also have a DRL on motorbike, fork leg mounted, aimed properly and not overly bright, not a 6million lumen chinese example

Doesn't your Tracer also have DRL LED headlights.

Smudge

Veteran
Yeah, a winky one sided job, as effective as the main headlight (also winky in low beam)

I thought the LED strips were along the top on both headlights, but only one of the headlights has the incandescent bulb on.
I thought this was how it was on my 15 tracer.

Top Bottom