Darwin cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The teenagers who thought it would be a good idea to get drunk on a pedestrian crossing assuming there would no overnight trains. One died.

They won't do that again!

sheddy

Legendary Member
Today our train was delayed by a motorist who drove their car between barriers. Fortunately our driver was able to stop in time.

Enough space for car to reverse off rails.
Photo from train window.

Attachments

• IMG_3642.jpeg
    IMG_3642.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 61

Baldy

Veteran
When I was a youth there was/is a level crossing in Narborough that a member of the station staff would come out and manually move the gates to stop traffic, mind you there was a ticket office/waiting room that invariably had a coal fire burning in the corner as well as one behind the ticket window (also a parcel office)
This was not a little 'branch line' but a dual line 'express route' and had goods trains throughout the night, also had a signal box (now automated) and the signalmen also had a stove. The 'Stationmaster' also had his own house next to the station.

Is that Narborough in Leicestershire or Narborough in Norfolk/Cambridgeshire?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Today our train was delayed by a motorist who drove their car between barriers. Fortunately our driver was able to stop in time.

Enough space for car to reverse off rails.
Photo from train window.

Many years ago a woman I worked with did something similar. Realising her mistake she turned left and drove up the ramp onto the platform - the crossing was next to a station. Sadly long before the days of digital cameras or mobile phones.

If I remember rightly she hadn't long passed her test.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Many years ago a woman I worked with did something similar. Realising her mistake she turned left and drove up the ramp onto the platform - the crossing was next to a station. Sadly long before the days of digital cameras or mobile phones.

Something similar happened years ago at the crossing next to Downham Market station, except they drove along the track. I've been told by someone who was there, possibly after a drink or two, that the driver asked if this meant they were going to miss the London train, and they were told that it was also going to be late because of a car on the tracks, but they would probably miss it anyway because the police would now like a chat!

Chris S

Legendary Member
When I was a youth there was/is a level crossing in Narborough that a member of the station staff would come out and manually move the gates to stop traffic, mind you there was a ticket office/waiting room that invariably had a coal fire burning in the corner as well as one behind the ticket window (also a parcel office)
This was not a little 'branch line' but a dual line 'express route' and had goods trains throughout the night, also had a signal box (now automated) and the signalmen also had a stove. The 'Stationmaster' also had his own house next to the station.
Unfortunately people like that got paid hardly anything. They couldn't take another job to supplement their income either because they were 'on call' all day.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Unfortunately people like that got paid hardly anything. They couldn't take another job to supplement their income either because they were 'on call' all day.

Nah the guy was a 'porter' during the rest of the day and the guys who did it at night used to be in the signal box (permanently manned) Trains throughout the night, mainly goods but also Milk and Mail trains. Like I said not a little branch line but a 2 way 'mainline' track

Profpointy

Legendary Member

In fairness, that's quite good quick thinking to get out of a serious pickle

Top Bottom