Darwin cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Holy Trump!

So many brain donors.

Drago

Legendary Member
There are reasons why every applicable railway infrastructure project needs to consider the possibility of closing level crossings. Here they are.

Nah, leave it as it is. The only people at risk of getting chopped in half are those that freely choose to put themselves in that position.

Protecting against genuine accident or mishap is one thing, but don't waste money protecting dumb.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Nah, leave it as it is. The only people at risk of getting chopped in half are those that freely choose to put themselves in that position.

Protecting against genuine accident or mishap is one thing, but don't waste money protecting dumb.

Unfortunately killing stupid people has a knock-on effect on train drivers. A good chunk (about half?) never return to the same work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It really says something on the two cyclists were so busy looking to see if they would get hit by a train that they didn't consider someone else would be as stupid as themselves and also be dashing across the crossing as the barriers were coming down. :laugh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
When I was a youth there was/is a level crossing in Narborough that a member of the station staff would come out and manually move the gates to stop traffic, mind you there was a ticket office/waiting room that invariably had a coal fire burning in the corner as well as one behind the ticket window (also a parcel office)
This was not a little 'branch line' but a dual line 'express route' and had goods trains throughout the night, also had a signal box (now automated) and the signalmen also had a stove. The 'Stationmaster' also had his own house next to the station.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When I was a youth there was/is a level crossing in Narborough that a member of the station staff would come out and manually move the gates to stop traffic,
Yeah, thereby blocking all lanes. I don't really understand why we still have any half-barriered or unbarriered crossings. Full barriers and object detection should be the minimum, else it's not fair on the train drivers.

The last clip in the BBC video seems a bit naughty to include because the crossing green light seems to be lit, but the night vision camera doesn't show colour. Nowhere near as bad as most of those. The two cyclists must be wishing cycling hadn't become so popular!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
When I was a youth there was/is a level crossing in Narborough that a member of the station staff would come out and manually move the gates to stop traffic, mind you there was a ticket office/waiting room that invariably had a coal fire burning in the corner as well as one behind the ticket window (also a parcel office)
This was not a little 'branch line' but a dual line 'express route' and had goods trains throughout the night, also had a signal box (now automated) and the signalmen also had a stove. The 'Stationmaster' also had his own house next to the station.

There are still a few of those around, if you know where to look.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There are still a few of those around, if you know where to look.
On main lines with expresses, though?

I cycled across a fun one which I think had a pushbutton for road users to request to cross. I wonder how motorists felt, being treated like walkers for a change! I don't remember exactly where it was. Somewhere in the Midlands. Not a main line.

Top Bottom