Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
I set up a new plan last night a general fitness one, as oppose to a TT plan which I’ve done for the last few years. I think it mixes more workouts instead of mainly VO2max and Threshold, well it gave me a SS workout and given I haven’t done one through TR in a while it was quite a low level (Jordan SS Lv 2.0). I felt about that or at least how I think a SS Level 2.0 workout should feel.

View attachment 746891
I maybe should have been more aggressive on my plan set up too as TR recommended but my new commute is on faster/ busier roads so I decided not to do a workout after that yesterday and set up back to back workouts for when I WFH, and I decided to be more conservative. My new plan is:
Sun - Group Ride 2-3h
Mon - Rest
Tues - Commute 110mins am, 105mins pm
Wed - TR Session (Used to be Tues)
Thu - TR Session
Fri - Commute 110mins am, 105mins pm
Sat - Group Ride 3-3.5h

That’s a tasty commute - I thought my commute an hour each way was plenty. Lots of volume in your plan - 15/16+ hours per week if I read it right?

I’ve hit a bit of a no-man’s land with regards training - no structured plan ahead and I’d like to do a Zwift race or two each week this winter. I’ve a winter holiday lined up for mid-January to Tenerife so I’ll likely build myself a 12 week plan that overlaps that holiday to make good use of the decent roads and warmer weather.

That’s a tasty commute - I thought my commute an hour each way was plenty. Lots of volume in your plan - 15/16+ hours per week if I read it right?

I’ve hit a bit of a no-man’s land with regards training - no structured plan ahead and I’d like to do a Zwift race or two each week this winter. I’ve a winter holiday lined up for mid-January to Tenerife so I’ll likely build myself a 12 week plan that overlaps that holiday to make good use of the decent roads and warmer weather.

I only do the commute two days a week WfH the rest. 20 mins to the station, a 35mins train journey the 45-50mins cycle at the other end. The train journey used to be longer but the 45-50mins was more pleasant. The new 45-50mins bit of the commute is on roads where I can't really wind down before a workout and whilst I used to workout after my commute I've moved it to a WfH day instead. The down side is I'll have back to back HIIT workout days.

I had Starlight -4 (a TR under over session) in my plan tonight and after the first two blocks I was going to rate it by the TR score as moderate but in the third block I wasn’t quite at it and the cadence fell into the high 70’s rpm for the overs and the low 80s for the under so I rated it as ‘Very Hard’

Its starting to cool down in the hall of pain!

Hall of Pain

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I only do the commute two days a week WfH the rest. 20 mins to the station, a 35mins train journey the 45-50mins cycle at the other end. The train journey used to be longer but the 45-50mins was more pleasant. The new 45-50mins bit of the commute is on roads where I can't really wind down before a workout and whilst I used to workout after my commute I've moved it to a WfH day instead. The down side is I'll have back to back HIIT workout days.
I used to commute Dry Drayton to Ely (22 miles e/w) every day, and it just knackered me! Even when I moved office and started working in Brampton, I’d commute by bike three days a week, and it didn’t do my racing any good because I was always too tired to do any focussed training.

I used to commute Dry Drayton to Ely (22 miles e/w) every day, and it just knackered me! Even when I moved office and started working in Brampton, I’d commute by bike three days a week, and it didn’t do my racing any good because I was always too tired to do any focussed training.

Most Ive done is St Ives to Cambridge everyday and workout, 13-15miles each way IIRC. But that route is easy with it being busway and you could go your own pace (especially on recovery days) and not lose much time. Before I moved jobs unknowingly I had a chronic iron deficiency so it was a good job the busway was easy!

Top Bottom