Cycling UK vs British Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lone Wolf

Über Member
Sorry if I’ve put this 8n the wrong sub forum. I know both of these organisations provide pretty good things like insurance for cyclists. Would appreciate some insights and opinions from members before I part with my cash. Thanks all.

Boopop

Guru
British Cycling are sports/racing focused (so go with them if you'll ever want a race licence), Cycling UK are more utility cycling focus, and they campaign for better infrastructure funding and laws etc.

Cycling UK are also not sponsored by a huge oil company so there's that too. At this point the only people I'd recomend (begrudgingly) British Cycling to are those certain they're going to race. Sadly such people don't really have a choice.

Boopop

Guru
https://www.tlicycling.com/

There is an alternative to BC but you'll never hear that from BC lol. It's cheaper too but you'll still need a TLI licence. Also if you're a veteran there's British Masters. Neither you will ever hear of from BC. Both organisations come highly recommended 👍

https://bmcr.org.uk/

That's interesting, I'd never heard of TLI, and I didn't realise the veteran org. was separate.

I assume once you get beyond a certain level of racing, if you're that skilled and talented, you'd still need BC membership rather than TLI to compete at the higher levels.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
That's interesting, I'd never heard of TLI, and I didn't realise the veteran org. was separate.

I assume once you get beyond a certain level of racing, if you're that skilled and talented, you'd still need BC membership rather than TLI to compete at the higher levels.

British Cycling, TLI and British Masters Cycle Racing run entirely different races. Unfortunately that means anyone wanting to race in a different organiser's race has to obtain membership of that body in addition to the one they may be in.

I've been in all three as a result, but currently am just with BC primarily because they are the ones doing most of the track racing, although BMCR do a bit.

Boopop

Guru
British Cycling, TLI and British Masters Cycle Racing run entirely different races. Unfortunately that means anyone wanting to race in a different organiser's race has to obtain membership of that body in addition to the one they may be in.
Yeah I figured that was the case. My point was that in the edge case that you're so good that you're on your way to becoming a pro, I assume it'd be impossible to get to that level without joining BC.

Big John

Guru
Yeah I figured that was the case. My point was that in the edge case that you're so good that you're on your way to becoming a pro, I assume it'd be impossible to get to that level without joining BC.

Correct. That said you get a lot of guys, especially the younger ones, doing TLI and BC. That way they can afford to race more often because TLI events are cheaper than BC and so is the licence. BC is the way to go to 'be discovered'. Cav is a big supporter of the TLI. It's very popular on the Isle of Man. Many of the TLI and British Masters are ex pros who pass on their experience to those wanting to learn the ropes.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Cycling UK for most riders. Join one of the racing things if you need their licence, but BC has significant government reps on its leadership, has spread helmets to charity rides and used to try to stop disabled riders by recumbent, e-bike and medication bans even for non-competitive rides. BC has a bad tendency towards "priests". http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/P/priesthood.html

While imperfect in many ways, CUK no longer has that.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Been a member of both, from a user perspective not noticed much difference
BC does a lot of 'Let's Ride' events for free and quiet a lot of Sportive and similar are booked through BC, though I also had a free BC account for booking events.
Both have money off with various organisations / regular emails and not had to use both get decent feedback of the 'insurance'

Top Bottom