Cycling in the King's Speech July 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
at-palaces-on-wheels-cycling-event-3-1623432611601.jpg

(source: Mega / Clarence House)

Bikes, buses but mostly trains are expected among the transport measures in today's speech setting out the priorities of the new government. There's a guide to what to watch for at https://www.theguardian.com/environ...le-paths-labour-mission-decarbonise-transport

I wonder if it will give Boardman's team at Active Travel England enough to work with.

tyred

Legendary Member
His saddle looks a bit low.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

His saddle looks a bit low.
I suspect it's a Pashley Sovereign so it doesn't matter too much, too low is better than too high, and a photo op isn't the best time for a bit of regal saddle fettling.

Is anyone arriving for the King's Speech by bike? Despite their aim to decarbonise, I bet most of the top lot are still driven around, but I guess at least HM's horsedrawn transport qualifies as "sustainable". Maybe backbenchers have an underground bike garage somewhere in the Westminster/Whitehall complex.

AndyRM

XOXO
...except where as it pertains to cycling, and where everyone behaves, such discussion is permitted here in the Commons.

If some genuine active travel opportunities are delivered, and no simply a crapload of white paint, then I'll be very happy. I guess we'll see.

"To discuss news, current affairs and politics please go here"

You're right though, nobody is misbehaving on this thread.

We'll see indeed.

Drago

Legendary Member
A recent ruling by the mods determined that genuine cycling related material is fine here. But no fighting - Pat forgot to order any more sawdust and the blood stains the floor boards.

Going back the the OP, was there much detail or any promises made, or was it all conveniently broad and vague?

Edit - just checked, vague as expected, but talk of public transport changes too. Still, if something does happen to get more people cycling ot can only be good. But what? And how?

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
View attachment 737907
(source: Mega / Clarence House)

Bikes, buses but mostly trains are expected among the transport measures in today's speech setting out the priorities of the new government. There's a guide to what to watch for at https://www.theguardian.com/environ...le-paths-labour-mission-decarbonise-transport

I wonder if it will give Boardman's team at Active Travel England enough to work with.

Is that how he arrived to give his speech earlier?

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

From https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/the-kings-speech-2024:
"My Ministers will get Britain building, including through planning reform, as they seek to accelerate the delivery of high quality infrastructure and housing [Planning and Infrastructure Bill]. They will also pursue sustainable growth by encouraging investment in industry, skills and new technologies. [...]

My Government believes that greater devolution of decision making is at the heart of a modern dynamic economy and is a key driver of economic growth and my Ministers will introduce an English Devolution Bill [English Devolution Bill]. Legislation will be introduced to give new powers to metro mayors and combined authorities. This will support local growth plans that bring economic benefit to communities.

A Bill will be introduced to allow local leaders to take control of their local bus services [Better Buses Bill]. My Ministers will bring forward legislation to improve the railways by reforming rail franchising, establishing Great British Railways and bringing train 8 operators into public ownership [Passenger Railway Services (Public Ownership) Bill, Rail Reform Bill]. [...]

My Government recognises the urgency of the global climate challenge and the new job opportunities that can come from leading the development of the technologies of the future."

Parliament will debate environmental measures tomorrow and infrastructure measures on Monday. Either could see more details about cycling and transport emerge.

dicko

Guru
I suspect it's a Pashley Sovereign so it doesn't matter too much, too low is better than too high, and a photo op isn't the best time for a bit of regal saddle fettling.

Is anyone arriving for the King's Speech by bike? Despite their aim to decarbonise, I bet most of the top lot are still driven around, but I guess at least HM's horsedrawn transport qualifies as "sustainable". Maybe backbenchers have an underground bike garage somewhere in the Westminster/Whitehall complex.

I remember Quintin Hogg used to ride a Moulton back in the ‘60s to the house every day.

Drago

Legendary Member
From https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/the-kings-speech-2024:
"My Ministers will get Britain building, including through planning reform, as they seek to accelerate the delivery of high quality infrastructure and housing [Planning and Infrastructure Bill]. They will also pursue sustainable growth by encouraging investment in industry, skills and new technologies. [...]

My Government believes that greater devolution of decision making is at the heart of a modern dynamic economy and is a key driver of economic growth and my Ministers will introduce an English Devolution Bill [English Devolution Bill]. Legislation will be introduced to give new powers to metro mayors and combined authorities. This will support local growth plans that bring economic benefit to communities.

A Bill will be introduced to allow local leaders to take control of their local bus services [Better Buses Bill]. My Ministers will bring forward legislation to improve the railways by reforming rail franchising, establishing Great British Railways and bringing train 8 operators into public ownership [Passenger Railway Services (Public Ownership) Bill, Rail Reform Bill]. [...]

My Government recognises the urgency of the global climate challenge and the new job opportunities that can come from leading the development of the technologies of the future."

Parliament will debate environmental measures tomorrow and infrastructure measures on Monday. Either could see more details about cycling and transport emerge.

You're usually an adroit observer of things involving active travel policy @mjr . Do you have any guesses as to what measures they might announce on Monday?

Gwylan

Veteran
Top Bottom