Cycling hero hits a low point

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Why should they me allowed to take his medals or trophies, any more than they can take your BSC MSC or PHD.
I'm trying to guess what sequence of events will result in Sir BrumJim, TdF winner...

Leg and heart transplant I reckon....!🤣

Jameshow

Veteran
It seems unfair, but medals will be worth money wrt to bankruptcy proceedings. Qualifications are not, to anybody but the recipient.

I hope he's lost them then.... 🤣

Just digging my evening 10 champ 3rd junior trophy in casket in garden....

It seems unfair, but medals will be worth money wrt to bankruptcy proceedings. Qualifications are not, to anybody but the recipient.

True. With the laws as stands, that's how it will probably play out.

We need an institution to buy them for safe-keeping*. Or failing that <grits teeth> British Cycling.

I don't know of anywhere except the museum in L'Wells - who probably don't have that kind of cash, and aren't really into racing stuffs ...

*EDIT: this must have happened before, plenty of ill-advised sports stars out there. (not to mention the "lovable rogues" like Herr Becker ... )

Last edited:

Fastpedaller

Über Member
It's sad to see what's happened. My observations of financial advisors/accountants are that they seem to think 'everything adds up so that's ok' without looking at how sound the business idea really is, and predicting the long-term outcomes. Look at how some high street 'big names' have been possibly badly advised (Woolworths?) . Contrast with 'Dragons Den' celebs who say 'turnover is vanity, profit is sanity' and pick the bones out of every investment.

screenman

Legendary Member
It's sad to see what's happened. My observations of financial advisors/accountants are that they seem to think 'everything adds up so that's ok' without looking at how sound the business idea really is, and predicting the long-term outcomes. Look at how some high street 'big names' have been possibly badly advised (Woolworths?) . Contrast with 'Dragons Den' celebs who say ', profit is sanity' and pick the bones out of every investment.

I have been in business for over 48 years, I live and work by your turnover is vanity line, I learned that right back at the beginning of my business life.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's sad to see what's happened. My observations of financial advisors/accountants are that they seem to think 'everything adds up so that's ok' without looking at how sound the business idea really is, and predicting the long-term outcomes. Look at how some high street 'big names' have been possibly badly advised (Woolworths?) . Contrast with 'Dragons Den' celebs who say 'turnover is vanity, profit is sanity' and pick the bones out of every investment.
Obviously these advisors stake their reputation and future customers on their record but things don't always go to plan, a lot is simply unpredictable, there's always going to be a risk.
Works both ways look at how Dragons have kicked some investors out of the park but have gone on to success.

Fastpedaller

Über Member
Obviously these advisors stake their reputation and future customers on their record but things don't always go to plan, a lot is simply unpredictable, there's always going to be a risk.
Works both ways look at how Dragons have kicked some investors out of the park but have gone on to success.

True - I remember many years ago a guy turned up with a camera which fitted near the rear-view mirror of a car to record the view in front ..... They really missed the market by not investing in his idea!

Fifelad

Guru
Like many sportsmen, actors and musicians, he sounds like he has been poorly financially advised over the years. I have a mate who deals with some famous celebrities who’s financial stability has take a turn for the worse, some incredible stories..

Top Bottom