CycleChat Investigates - Self Service Tills

What do you think of self service checkouts?

• I love them. They speed me swifty onwards with my purchases.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I can't stand them. They're not actually any quicker and take jobs from real humans.

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • Meh. Don't care so long as I get my shopping.

Votes: 12 14.5%
  • I don't have a TV.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a shoplifter.

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
On about 60% of the occasions that I've reluctantly had to use them, they simply don't work properly. Were they dreamed up by Elon Musk?
David R. Humble in 1984.

screenman

Legendary Member
I use them as often as possible, never have a problem with them. Two close friends one a manager for Lidl the other Aldi both say they do not cost jobs but do free people up to do other important things. So one of the biggest costs of running a business is wages, are you happy to pay more? for the benefit of being served, I would like to see a discount of say 2% for using a self service till, that would sure change a lot of minds on the subject. Disclaimer, I have had a couple of beers.

classic33

Leg End Member
I use them as often as possible, never have a problem with them. Two close friends one a manager for Lidl the other Aldi both say they do not cost jobs but do free people up to do other important things. So one of the biggest costs of running a business is wages, are you happy to pay more? for the benefit of being served, I would like to see a discount of say 2% for using a self service till, that would sure change a lot of minds on the subject. Disclaimer, I have had a couple of beers.
Paid for at the self service?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member

I wouldn't necessarily happy to pay for more humans at tills.

Conversely, shops that have reduced staff numbers by virtue of opening these self service tills aren't passing on any saving by charging less.

screenman

Legendary Member
I wouldn't necessarily happy to pay for more humans at tills.

Conversely, shops that have reduced staff numbers by virtue of opening these self service tills aren't passing on any saving by charging less.

Maybe they would have charged us more, but my pals did not lay off staff when the self service were installed.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
But by and large shops are running less staff where they have these tills. Just chat to the staff in your local Coop like I do - they'll tell you how they've gone from 5 to 2 at slack periods. Don't guess or suppose - ask them.

Lay offs aren't necessary in retail where churn is high anyway.

It's a cynical attempt to raise shareholder return by having customers do the work of staff, and it's incredible that people fall for it.

Mike_P

Guru
Local Lidls do not have them yet. A pity as last week I found none of the tills staffed :eek:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I feel knackered just watching the staff at Lidl. They certainly earn their money, but I've found the, unfailingly polite, good natured and always up for a quick chat.

One of the nice things about retirement is having the time to chat to folk.

Mike_P

Guru
I feel knackered just watching the staff at Lidl. They certainly earn their money, but I've found the, unfailingly polite, good natured and always up for a quick chat.

One of the nice things about retirement is having the time to chat to folk.

Recall one who had previously worked at Asda saying how much more they earned.

screenman

Legendary Member
But by and large shops are running less staff where they have these tills. Just chat to the staff in your local Coop like I do - they'll tell you how they've gone from 5 to 2 at slack periods. Don't guess or suppose - ask them.

Lay offs aren't necessary in retail where churn is high anyway.

It's a cynical attempt to raise shareholder return by having customers do the work of staff, and it's incredible that people fall for it.

My local Lidl installed 5 self service in place of one service one, no staff laid off. I like the fact businesses make a profit, my own two do, I do not use the Co-Op, not because they do not have self service, but because they are far more expensive locally than Aldi or Lidl.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
My local Lidl installed 5 self service in place of one service one, no staff laid off.

How have you established whether there were any staff losses? Did you ask them? Certainly our Coop now runs with 40% of the staff it previously did at off peak times.

And as already aforementioned, why would you lay off staff in this scenario in an industry that has such a high turnover already? A few weeks or months of simply not replacing staff will achieve the desired result without costing a penny?

Adam4868

Guru
Is it not the same at banks ? Remember years ago getting paid 50 quid by Abbey National to go to a meeting about machines/atm.Asking questions such as would you be comfortable using them.
Look at them now,if there's a bank branch even open where you are.I know on the odd time I go in they even have someone stood around trying to direct you to an in-store atm.Queue of people and one teller dealing with enquires.

screenman

Legendary Member
How have you established whether there were any staff losses? Did you ask them? Certainly our Coop now runs with 40% of the staff it previously did at off peak times.

And as already aforementioned, why would you lay off staff in this scenario in an industry that has such a high turnover already? A few weeks or months of simply not replacing staff will achieve the desired result without costing a penny?

I asked my pal and close neighbour who is the manager there, we were discussing it when this topic came up on a FB page. Now another way to look at it is they give us options, those that want them removed are taking away the option from the 38% on here who want to use them. As somebody now shopping for a single person I do not want to stand behind somebody doing a shop for five when paying, I think they are a great idea.

This makes interesting reading about the Co-Op https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/even-co-operative-group-falling-victim-3225013

Top Bottom