Cycle Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You say that, but that's not how it works psychologically.

Unless you're properly drilled and trained such aids become a substitute for proper observation, not an aid to it. Its inevitable, invioble, how we're wried up to behave. Unless you've been drilled out of it and constantly practice the drills it won't make yo any safer - You just think you are.

Knowing accurately what is behind me well before a manoeuvre but keeping my eyes forward before the confirmatory look over the shoulder to a safe extent feels safer to me. Expecting vehicles or not rather than getting freaked out by them also feels better. It'll occasionally say something is there when its not, like a driver who turns off or when you cycle in parallel to another road, its never said it was clear when it wasn't but I'm not naive not to do that check. Its a bit like drivers and mirrors some naïve folk rely on them and forget to check the blind spot etc, but experienced folk always check. Until you've ridden with one its hard to form any conclusions; I've had mine for 5 years and I wouldn't ride without it these days.

Mike_P

Guru
Like BMWs with indicators.

No chance of that. Followed one slowly over speed humps today and of course it turned left with no indication.

PaulSB

Squire
I had a tractor overtake me a bit too close yesterday and the clattering from behind told me that it was towing something. That turned out to be a big trailer, which came even closer to me... Fortunately, no harm done in this case, but what happened to you flashed through my mind during the overtake!

How is your recovery going, Paul?

I've made a lot of progress but I'm expecting another 6 - 9 months before I'm 100%. That sounds more dramatic than it actually is.

My broken fingers have regained about 90% flexion, the remaining 10% will come with use. My shoulder still aches and it's a struggle to lift under some circumstances. The knee is largely healed but I've about 10% rear flexion to regain.

The biggest issue is morning stiffness. I've used a morning stretch routine for several years. This is now an essential aspect of my daily routine. I have a corn bag which I heat in the microwave and apply to my shoulder, both knees and right hand. I also massage bio oil into the knees. This is followed by 20 minutes stretching. If I don't do this it takes 2-3 hours for everything to free up.

There are loads of big positives. My PT and physio are very impressed by and pleased with the recovery. I'm back to my 40 - 50 minute workouts, 5 days a week. Strength is still limited but I'm getting there.

Cycling has been limited by weather and other aspects of life. When I do get out I'm 100% happy and confident. My new bike order should be confirmed this week.

Overall I'm very happy with things. Thanks for asking Colin. 👍

Top Bottom