Cycle Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stumccly

Hi, looking for some help, I have recently returned to cycling after many years. I have a Bianchi e-omnia e bike, after a few very close calls with cars and vans passing too close, I thought about getting a couple of cameras. Has anyone got cameras fitted to a bianchi e-omnia, if so what makes and how do you fit them to the frame? thanks in advance

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you go into the top right corner and search for camera, you will get a lot of responses. Its a common topic on here.

Sharky

Guru
Make sure you get the cameras for the right reasons. Cameras won't stop near misses and if you just want to start reporting bad examples to the police, it will just stress you out and take the enjoyment away.

If for evidence following a real crash, then is useful.

Make sure you have third party insurance as well.

I've had many close passes, but only one collision in over 50 years. With a close pass, I usually show my anger with immediate hand waving, but not particularly for the car that has just passed. More for the cars following to make them more aware.

Enjoy the ride

I've recently, started recording my solo rides.

Mainly so I can report nasty incidents to the police and provide some evidence, so that they may actually do something about the problem.

I was very reluctant too, largely for the same reasons @Sharky cites. Already, I mildly resent having to charge the camera up and lug it around, just because of the way other people behave.

However, the way other people are behaving is negatively impacting my cycling experience to quite an extent already - and even if I pick out the worst incident on each ride and report only that, then hopefully I'm contributing in some small way to making the roads safer by helping, in the long-term, Police educate and remove the idiotic/impatient drivers from them.

FTR I'm using a Technalogic DC-2 Pro helmet mounted camera, because it is one device to record the front and rear view simultaneously. It seems okay so far, although at lower light levels, at FHD @ 30 FPS, I didn't get any frames in which car registrations were clear during a couple of incidents on country lanes where I encountered drivers that were racing each other. I'm now testing it using FHD @ 60 FPS. The other mode I have to try is 2K or QHD which is 2560 x 1440 and that's only at 30 FPS.

FHD = Full high definition, 1960 x 1080 pixels
FPS = Frames per second

PaulSB

Squire
My view would be to save your money. I understand the problem and your, perhaps, nervousness. Cameras though offer you no protection. All a camera does is provide you with hours of footage which is of no value unless you submit it to the police and even then it's of questionable value.

Eight weeks ago, on a clear, bright day I was hit from behind by a tractor driver. Five days in hospital and still recovering.

What difference would a camera have made? I'd have video footage of a tractor hitting me. I'd still be injured. I'm not sure I want to watch the actual incident.

I feel reviewing and perhaps improving light quality is a better investment.

If you need a decent battery life your options are very limited:-

Cyliq fly 12 sport

Too cycling front camera

My view would be to save your money. I understand the problem and your, perhaps, nervousness. Cameras though offer you no protection. All a camera does is provide you with hours of footage which is of no value unless you submit it to the police and even then it's of questionable value.

Eight weeks ago, on a clear, bright day I was hit from behind by a tractor driver. Five days in hospital and still recovering.

What difference would a camera have made? I'd have video footage of a tractor hitting me. I'd still be injured. I'm not sure I want to watch the actual incident.

I feel reviewing and perhaps improving light quality is a better investment.

I am sorry that the tractor driver collided with you. I hope you do make a full recovery.

I understand this perspective, but I don't entirely agree. The camera won't have prevented a SMIDSY collision. Some drivers just don't look and it doesn't matter what you do, if they don't look they won't see you.

But some drivers do see. And I find with the helmet camera - it's quite prominent - if they notice it, their attitude changes. Fewer close passes. Fewer drivers pulling out. Not none, but fewer.

In a situation where an incident occurs, the camera footage may disprove a drivers lies about the situation, when there is no witness testimony. This can work in your favour, should there be any claims for damages. If an incident involving a negligent driver leaves you with life long injuries, the evidence collected increases the likelihood of a successful claim for compensation. Compensation that may be needed to pay for ongoing care.

Finally, in reporting the worst incidents, with evidence so that the police can act, we are highlighting the scale of the problem and hopefully, over the long-term with a concerted and collective effort, helping to remove the worst offending drivers from the roads.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Squire
@PedallingNowhereSlowly yep, I do see your point. Personally I wouldn't have the time to devote to editing and reporting video to the police.

As an aside the tractor driver wasn't a SMIDSY. I was riding at +/-30mph on a slight descent. He tried to overtake, I thought to myself "f*** that's close" as the rear wheel passed my shoulder. Next thing I knew was a young man holding my head saying "it's OK I'm an off duty policeman. I want you to keep still."

Turns out the trailer the tractor was pulling was wider than the tractor and that's what hit me.

No amount of cameras prevent that sort of idiocy.

Given what happened to Michael Schumacher a helmet cam is not necessarily a good idea. Put on one the handlebar instead.

https://www.bbc.com/safety/resources/safetynews/helmet-cams

In fact, in not one of over 70 tests on various helmet types, mounting types or mounting positions did the presence of the camera cause the helmet to ‘fail’ the injury threshold standards. And this wasn’t solely because the camera broke away on impact (as claimed likely by the manufacturer), because this only happened in approximately 40% of tests. It turns out that, as seen on high speed film, when struck by a heavy weight from above, or when a helmeted head-form is dropped from height onto a solid surface, the deformation of the camera mount seems to actually absorb some of the energies involved, meaning that the camera mount may be providing an additional layer of protection to the head in most, but not all, tests.

There are some caveats to the research of course, detailed in teh article. I can't find any other evidence as to whether helmet cameras are safe or dangerous, but my personal judgement is that helmets are not really design to protect riders in collisions with motor vehicles and that is the biggest danger I face when I am riding.

I use a helmet camera because it is a single device that captures the front and rear view simultanously and I don't have the nuisance of moving it between bikes. I've bought a different helmet for group rides where I feel less vulnerable and I'm more at risk from someone cross wheeling etc..

So don't get a camera. Make sure your saddle is a brooks and you're pedals have clips and straps - and of course v brakes and a steel frame.

Welcome to cyclechat. Where cutting edge tech and new innovations are fully embraced.

• Laugh
Reactions: C R
Ive ran a camera in the past, IMO they just serve to keep incidents in your mind. The best thing I've found for a more enjoyable ride is a Garmin Varia radar rear light, things don't feel half as bad when you know they are coming. Its almost like having a mirror but there's no blind spots, and if you are worried about aesthetics the varia is less of a problem 🙃

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I quite understand why people feel a need to use cameras, especially after an accident.
I've been knocked off my bike a few times due to other people's awful driving, but fortunately I have been largely unscathed apart from the odd minor scratch and tear to the bike, my clothes, and myself. Not a big deal in the scheme of things. Other people have been far less fortunate than I have, and I sympathise. Personally, I don't want to start a ride, however short, with the camera apparatus to prove that I'm a victim. For me, it would spoil the fun.

If I had a bad accident,I'm pretty sure my views would change.

Top Bottom