Cooking equipment for bikepacking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just thinking, how do you secure your bike overnight when camping on a site? I get how wild camping is probably more secure but my first adventures will be using campsites.

In the Tent ?

Gwylan

Veteran
I have a funny hooter thing.
It has a feature that you can set it as a movement alarm. Makes bloody awful noise when a moth farts going by.
Also my bike has a movement alarm and tracker built in. Keeps sending me messages to tell me where it is.
Do have to remember to switch it off!

Baldy

Über Member
I have a funny hooter thing.
It has a feature that you can set it as a movement alarm. Makes bloody awful noise when a moth farts going by.
Also my bike has a movement alarm and tracker built in. Keeps sending me messages to tell me where it is.
Do have to remember to switch it off!

Sounds bloody annoying!

I use an ethanol burning trangia ( https://www.bever.nl/p/trangia-spiritus-brander-accessoires-MECDA42005.html?colour=5806 ) and a lightweight pot. I usually just cook oats with nuts in the morning and couscous with whatever I've managed to pick up during the day in the evening.

The benefits of the ethanol burning trangia are the small, lightweight size, that burnable liquids are available and affordable in almost every country on earth, and it doesn't freeze in low temperatures.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Every gas stove like the MSR/jetboil style all had flame regulators built in. Fairly rudimentary, but they all mentioned simmering in their marketing bumpf

Some of this style stove including some Jetboil brand stoves don't have regulators as they are primarily designed just for boiling water quickly.
You can turn the valve to almost closed to try and simmer but it's a bit hit and miss though.

ade towell

Über Member
That is what my research found, as I said before if cooking as well as boiling is important to you the regulator on the stove needs to be of decent quality - from my internet findings the Soto windmaster and MSR Pocket rocket deluxe were the best with Soto just having the edge. These 2 stoves although higher price than a lot of others were also more efficient with gas use and had some tech that enabled them to work well even when the gas canister was running low and in cold conditions, something others struggled with

JD_bike_rider

Another vote for Jetboil (if you only need hot water) or MSR PocketRocket (if you want to cook food too).

On the bike security, if I perceive any risk (commercial campsite rather than remote wild camping) I will either use a Litelok (no affiliation) or tie the bike to the tent using fishing line to get woken up if anyone takes a liking to my bike.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
I've been known to run a line from the bike to my pots and pans under the tent flysheet as a makeshift alarm

Decent shout that.

Trangia and Alpkit Brukit arrived this week. Gave them an inspection, and Trangia is lighter than I remember it being, but glad to have both options based on the trip type.

Now to try and test it all out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Primus/Coleman screw tops seem far more available than Camping Gaz easy clic CV cartridges - I ended up going to Amazon for the small cartridge as none of the stores I went to had the smaller CV. Down side of the CV system is the burner is 500g, compared to my travelling companion's Ali-express burner that was 50g and worked well on the screw top cartridges. Might look into a different system going forward, mainly due to weight - size was OK, weight not.

As for locking bikes, the three sites we stayed on we just used cable locks around the bike/fence. The sites were quite remote though. I did bring a heavier Bordo lock, but that didn't get used (again heavy).

Whilst we were camping for a week earlier in August (not bike packing in my case), I noticed most bike packers weren't locking their bikes, even on a busy-ish site.

Note to self, ditch anything that adds to weight, so big lock, shaver to go. The weight wasn't an issue on road, but our route was over 50% rough tracks and trails, and the weight was an issue.

Top Bottom