Cooking equipment for bikepacking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Feeling inspired after watching various bikepacking adventurers on youtube this year. One thing they don't talk much about is the kit they use for cooking whilst camping.

20 years ago when I was doing DofE a Trangia was commonplace, thankfully it looks like tech has moved mon and there are lighter stoves etc. available.

Can any CCers recommend some kit they'd typically use when bikepacking/camping.

Looking at some three day/two night ventures, so enough fuel to cook evening meals, morning meals and coffees/teas.

TIA.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Jetboil has become very popular. Cups, plates, pans and cutlery are usually titanium.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
They were available 20 years ago. Trangia has its uses as a simple reliable stove even in storm force winds. Pocket Rocket looks to still be available.

True, though it was quite cumbersome from what I recall. Easy to fit in a bergen, not that I am a weight weenie, but thinking as I am starting from nought, if lighter, more compact, relatively reliable exists, then why not?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
By Bikepacking I presume you mean touring with frame mounted soft bags rather than the more traditional rack and panniers. With bikepacking bags, space is at a premium due to there smaller size and awkward shape, which precludes bulkier cooksets like the Trangia.

There seems to be generally two styles of cookset that are popular. First is the meths burner, basically the burner unit from a Trangia, with a much smaller collapsible windshield/pot stand. A light simple unit that will pack up into whichever pot set that you decide to use. The deal breaker for me with such a set up, is the need for a separate leak proof bottle to carry the meths in, I simply don't have anywhere to carry such a thing.

I've gone for the second option of a small gas stove, in my case the MSR Pocket Rocket 2. The stove itself will sit in the palm of my hand, yet is powerful enough to heat water in a few minutes. My complete cookset comprises the stove, two pans, a lid, a fire striker which works in the rain and when wet, a small cloth and a pan handle. Aside from the small bowl in the MSR cookset, I don't carry any other additional bowls or plates, the only thing not pictured here is the small plastic Spork I use to eat with.

P1020345.JPG

For brews, I use an Aeropress go, a small French press style of coffee maker. It's really effective and makes some cracking coffee if you brew it for a while before pressing. This is paired with a single walled Titanium mug from Alpkit which can also be used as a pot if I need it.

P1020347.JPG

Both of these all nestle down like a Russian doll and all of the stuff in the pictures above, including the gas canister, packs into these two small packages.

P1020344.JPG

Cooking wise, I'll often prepare a few things at home to take with me. So a small bag with Olives, sundried tomatoes etc so I can eat foods Like Pasta, Pesto, with Parmesan and pine nuts, olives. Filled Tortellini is also a good one along with Couscous. Homemade vegi chill is another, then all I need to do is cook the rice. The trick is to only carry exactly what you need, so rather than a whole bag of pasta, I'll take just enough for a normal single portion.

Breakfast will often be home made Granola, though Porridge is also good. Fresh Coffee in the Aeropress, if the trip is only a couple of days then a small Nalgene bottle filled with freshly ground beans nestles nicely inside the Aeropress. For longer trips I'll take a small bag of ground coffee beans and use the spoon pictured to get the right amount.

I've written a number of reports of my bike packing adventures in the Travelogue section here on cc and along with that I'll often mention the foods I've eaten. I do like to eat well on trips, so whilst my setup is fairly minimal I don't starve.

The problem I find with some YouTube videos is the glossing over of issues and a reluctance to address or show the problems with bike packing. Many of them also don't carry cooksets and rely on Cafés and restaurants for food, or only eat cold junk food. It is perfectly possible to eat well on a trip it just requires more work and thought when you have limited carrying capacity.

One last thought, I also use a ultralight rucksack that packs down into a miniscule bag. It's great for nipping into supermarkets and picking up food in the last kilometres before your camp. You couldn't use it for long, but it's great for emergency space when needed.

Jameshow

Veteran
By Bikepacking I presume you mean touring with frame mounted soft bags rather than the more traditional rack and panniers. With bikepacking bags, space is at a premium due to there smaller size and awkward shape, which precludes bulkier cooksets like the Trangia.

There seems to be generally two styles of cookset that are popular. First is the meths burner, basically the burner unit from a Trangia, with a much smaller collapsible windshield/pot stand. A light simple unit that will pack up into whichever pot set that you decide to use. The deal breaker for me with such a set up, is the need for a separate leak proof bottle to carry the meths in, I simply don't have anywhere to carry such a thing.

I've gone for the second option of a small gas stove, in my case the MSR Pocket Rocket 2. The stove itself will sit in the palm of my hand, yet is powerful enough to heat water in a few minutes. My complete cookset comprises the stove, two pans, a lid, a fire striker which works in the rain and when wet, a small cloth and a pan handle. Aside from the small bowl in the MSR cookset, I don't carry any other additional bowls or plates, the only thing not pictured here is the small plastic Spork I use to eat with.

View attachment 742736

For brews, I use an Aeropress go, a small French press style of coffee maker. It's really effective and makes some cracking coffee if you brew it for a while before pressing. This is paired with a single walled Titanium mug from Alpkit which can also be used as a pot if I need it.

View attachment 742735

Both of these all nestle down like a Russian doll and all of the stuff in the pictures above, including the gas canister, packs into these two small packages.

View attachment 742737

Cooking wise, I'll often prepare a few things at home to take with me. So a small bag with Olives, sundried tomatoes etc so I can eat foods Like Pasta, Pesto, with Parmesan and pine nuts, olives. Filled Tortellini is also a good one along with Couscous. Homemade vegi chill is another, then all I need to do is cook the rice. The trick is to only carry exactly what you need, so rather than a whole bag of pasta, I'll take just enough for a normal single portion.

Breakfast will often be home made Granola, though Porridge is also good. Fresh Coffee in the Aeropress, if the trip is only a couple of days then a small Nalgene bottle filled with freshly ground beans nestles nicely inside the Aeropress. For longer trips I'll take a small bag of ground coffee beans and use the spoon pictured to get the right amount.

I've written a number of reports of my bike packing adventures in the Travelogue section here on cc and along with that I'll often mention the foods I've eaten. I do like to eat well on trips, so whilst my setup is fairly minimal I don't starve.

The problem I find with some YouTube videos is the glossing over of issues and a reluctance to address or show the problems with bike packing. Many of them also don't carry cooksets and rely on Cafés and restaurants for food, or only eat cold junk food. It is perfectly possible to eat well on a trip it just requires more work and thought when you have limited carrying capacity.

One last thought, I also use a ultralight rucksack that packs down into a miniscule bag. It's great for nipping into supermarkets and picking up food in the last kilometres before your camp. You couldn't use it for long, but it's great for emergency space when needed.

Yeap I've got a pretty similar set up.
You can get cheaper variants off eBay if you want to try it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm using what I have. Got a camping gaz burner that sits on CV cannisters, I use it as an additional burner when 'big camping'. It's not super light but the smaller CV cartridge will fit inside my two pans and I'm not needing to buy into a new 'system'.

You can get some really small burners that use the screw top cartridges.

Witzend

Feeling inspired after watching various bikepacking adventurers on youtube this year. One thing they don't talk much about is the kit they use for cooking whilst camping.

20 years ago when I was doing DofE a Trangia was commonplace, thankfully it looks like tech has moved mon and there are lighter stoves etc. available.

Can any CCers recommend some kit they'd typically use when bikepacking/camping.

Looking at some three day/two night ventures, so enough fuel to cook evening meals, morning meals and coffees/teas.

TIA.
It largely depends on what you are cooking.
I've got various stoves for different use and different times of year - Coleman Peak 1 multifuel; Trangia (meths) with gas conversion; Optimus multi fuel (burns anything from meths & white spirit to unleaded & avgas); Jetboil and a collapsible meths/wood stove I often take as a winter backup. But if I'm going for a medium trip and are cooking quick-cook items like camping meals; noodles; instant porridge and hot drinks I usually take the Jetboil - minimum faff and mess. A medium canister (largest that fits inside) lasts me 3 days in Winter/5 in Summer cooking twice a day with a lunchtime brew-up. I also use a small titanium bowl for eating out of and/or cooking with (you'll need a pot lifter) and an insulated cup with the handle sawn off.

Some type of pot cosy (I use spare clothes) will save a lot of fuel by keeping things hot enough to keep cooking when the stove is off or you're heating something else.

If you're just going for the odd night and you're starting out, I'd go for a meths burner you can burn wood on - cheap; light and if you're near a source of wood you can take whatever food you like as you can cook for hours - this one fits inside the MSR pot with clamped lid (on the right) which in turn fits inside the soot-blackened pot.
100_4946.JPG

Depending on the venue, you might want to consider a water filter/purifier.

Baldy

Über Member
It really depends on what sort of "cooking" you're planning to do. If it's packet stuff were all you need is to add hot water and stir. You can get away with just a metal mug and a spoon along with a stove, either gas or meths. There are some very light compact stoves around.
https://www.speedsterstoves.co.uk/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultralight...ove&qid=1724672372&sprefix=BRS,aps,121&sr=8-5

If you're planning on cooking some real food you may want a bigger pan and maybe a couple of utensils, and even the luxury of a plastic plate. All depends on what you're comfortable with.

dimrub

Über Member
I really like my Jetboil - it's crazy compact, boils water in under 3 minutes and is easy to handle. It's also quite versatile - you can cook some pasta, use the cover to sieve the water out, then do the sauce, wipe it out and boil water for tea (I've done all that). But mostly it's for quick meals on the go: I think most folks just use it to heat water for dehydrated meals and tea. Another downside is the need to source a gas canister when travelling, because you can't bring one from home. Trangia is more versatile (you can have cooker for gas and alcohol and use either, depending on the availability of the fuel) and can also be used to prepare more fancy meals. Also, there are lighter versions these days than the one you've probably handled 20 years ago.

I also bring aeropress (rather, a more compact Chinese knock-off, that's half the size of the original).

Attachments

• PXL_20240826_142612858.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20240826_142612858.PORTRAIT.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom