Clothing for colder weather?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd try and get windproof rather than waterproof, staying warm is more important than staying dry. I use a Tenn Outdoors Windblock, which is excellent for cycling, IMO, but others are available, obviously.

Waterproof stuff won't be needed as much as you expect, I haven't used mine in the past 6 months (although I don't commute by bike every day) but a windproof top could be used for the next 7 months.

Is the windblock fleece lined? or is it one of those daft pack down to the size of a grape jackets. Looks good for £30. I was caught of in epic rain a few days ago, and was perfectly comfortable in just a merino base layer and summer jersey, dont think that will be enough when the temperature drops though.
 
OP
OP
S

sabian92

Guru
This might sound a bit cheap but I got my waterproof jacket by subscribing to a cycling magazine. They often do deals when you subscribe and got a £50 jacket for a £20 odd quid subscription...it's actually pretty good as well!!!

Yeah, I have thought of that. Might be worth doing - I definitely can't afford £100 for a Night Vision jacket!

God I forgot to mention glasses. A MUST. I never ride without them, all year. To much debris off the roads and insects to risk it.
I wear glasses anyway - I'm short sighted (not overly so but enough that I shouldn't really drive/ride without them) but I know what you mean. A bee hit me this summer and it bounced off my glasses. Dread to think if it had gone into my eye.....
I can shower at the gym as I've said but I'd rather not ride in wet clothes. I might just chance it with my shower proof non cycling jacket and see what happens. If it means I'm a bit boil in the bag, I can go for a shower. :biggrin:

May mean leaving stuff at the gym and stealing a key though...
 

Norm

Guest
Is the windblock fleece lined? or is it one of those daft pack down to the size of a grape jackets. Looks good for £30. I was caught of in epic rain a few days ago, and was perfectly comfortable in just a merino base layer and summer jersey, dont think that will be enough when the temperature drops though.
There's no fleece to it, but it's not a small jacket. The "roubaix" material is like a polyester/elastane mix, packing small is not what I'd call it's forté but you can buy them from Cycle Clothes for £23, and that's a bargain, IMO.
 
Top Bottom