Changing 10/11 speed, chain/rings compatability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upandover

Guru
Hi,

I have a 10 speed SRAM Force (short cage) rear derailleur and 10 speed cassette on my recumbent, which I realised today is paired with 11 speed SRAM barend shifters. It's worked fine since I've had it, even with me adjusting it once. :smile:

I'm planning to replace the short cage derailleur and cassette so I can go from 11-28 to 11-32. The 10 speed derailleur is expensive and harder to find though. The 11 speed is (I think) more modern, and so more available and cheaper.

It sounds like if I went that way, I could probably get away with still using my (quite new) 10 speed chain and the same chainrings, but there seems to be mixed views online, with the possible downside of increased wear. Does anyone have any experience of this, please?

Thanks

si_c

Guru
Chainrings you'll be able to continue using, but the chain you'll need an 11 speed as they are narrower than 10sp as the spacing between sprockets on the cassette is narrower also. Can't comment on the rest though.

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
Thanks both. Looking at the link, I think 1:1, yes. The derailleur is exact actuation, as are the shifters (these: https://www.sram.com/en/service/models/sl-1190-r-a1) which the site says are both 1:1 too, which is good, thanks.

I think worth doing. The cheapest I can find the 10 speed medium/long cage is £125 available now, or £105 in the warehouse, (7 days, which I'm sceptical about being available). Whereas I can get an 11 speed for £50. Even with three chains, it's a little less, and I think with better forward compatibility.

Thanks both. :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Just a random thought - of little practical value: Could you replace just the cage on your derailleur? Thus converting it to a long cage?

Of course if the problem with your existing one isn't capacity, but rather its ability to clear a max sprocket of 34 then that won't help. And it relies on the cage being available/ value for money. And it's a recumbent so probably has some weird aspects that I don't understand.

Ignore me. Just rambling. An odd idea that popped into my head, that's all.

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
That's really interesting. (And much cheaper potentially!)
I did try my short cage on a 32 tooth, and the issue that I could see was solely that the derailleur wheels rubbed on the cassette. I suspect a longer cage would work, just because it wouldn't touch. I shall look at options. Thanks. :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I did try my short cage on a 32 tooth, and the issue that I could see was solely that the derailleur wheels rubbed on the cassette. I suspect a longer cage would work, just because it wouldn't touch. I shall look at options. Thanks. :smile:

Don't blame me if it turns out to be a stupid idea!

si_c

Guru

I'm presuming you tightened the b-screw up to the max?

Top Bottom