Change come hard in the cycling community

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the last 30 or more years, there has been three really big improvement in cycling. They are click shift, clipless pedals, and disc brakes. I have been around long enough to see the introduction of all three. And in the case of all three, the cycling and especially the racing communities, pushed back really hard. Since all three had common sense and logic behind them, can anyone tell me why the cycling community resists change with such vigor?

Venod

Eh up
In the last 30 or more years, there has been three really big improvement in cycling. They are click shift, clipless pedals, and disc brakes. I have been around long enough to see the introduction of all three. And in the case of all three, the cycling and especially the racing communities, pushed back really hard. Since all three had common sense and logic behind them, can anyone tell me why the cycling community resists change with such vigor?
I think the racing guys quickly adopted to click shift and clip less pedals, the road guys were a bit slow on the disc brake adoption but the MTB races probably were early adopters of discs.

Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
People don't tend to like change
There's a safeness to what you know
If you have something that works there may be no need to change
We are a sentimental lot...
Elements of inverted snobbery?
Birds of a feather flock to CC...
On our group ride today of seven of us late 40s to early 60's, 5 bikes had discs, all had clipless, all had integrated brake / gear levers
Maybe the 'community' is a generalism / stereotype?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Clipless pedals weren't resisted by the racing community to my knowledge. They were introduced by Lemond weren't they (Look pedals?) and spread.

Indexed shifters - I don't have much memory of what everyone else was thinking but I was rather envious of them but they were too fancy for me. Or do you mean integrated STI type shifters? Again I my memory is too vague but I think the racing community liked them because you don't so obviously telegraph your intentions with a very visible gear change.

Disc brakes did meet some resistance/scepticism from the racing community and elsewhere simply because there are pros and cons to their use. Ditto tubeless tyres.

Of course many people take the "if it ain't broke" approach and stick with what they already know.

Bernard Hainault was involved in a pile up but escaped because he could unclick while the over riders who were strapped in came off worse..

I have a few memories of struggling to undo a toe strap while my leg was trapped under the bike after an off. you couldn't just pull your foot out because the slotted cleat was secured over the pedal cage by the tightly closed strap which needed a flick of the quick release buckle before you came to a stop.

Clipless pedals were a revelation which I took to straight away and the day after I fitted them to my racing iron I went out and bought another pair for the hack bike.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Clipless pedals weren't resisted by the racing community to my knowledge. They were introduced by Lemond weren't they (Look pedals?) and spread.

Indexed shifters - I don't have much memory of what everyone else was thinking but I was rather envious of them but they were too fancy for me. Or do you mean integrated STI type shifters? Again I my memory is too vague but I think the racing community liked them because you don't so obviously telegraph your intentions with a very visible gear change.

Disc brakes did meet some resistance/scepticism from the racing community and elsewhere simply because there are pros and cons to their use. Ditto tubeless tyres.

Of course many people take the "if it ain't broke" approach and stick with what they already know.

Bernad Tapie was the driving force behind them who used his ownership of la vie claire team to introduce them, apparently lemond was promised $1 per sale of look pedals in the usa but never saw any of it .

I think the weight penalty of disc brakes probably deterred the earlier adoption of them in road cycling.

And some commentators have made the argument that disk brakes have resulted in the pro peloton taking more risks and as a result more severe crashes have occured. So in some senses and improvement and other senses possibly not.

What would really improve cycling for me, is less marginalisation of it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Clipless is better for cycling, but it does then necessitate "special shoes" so for a practical journey like commuting to work, you need to leave a pair in the office. Despite having adopted clipless, in my case the MTB style I can walk in, it is still a bit of a turn off.

Disc brakes - am a bit ambivolent. Modern rim brakes are about 1000% better than the brakes I had as a kid, and modern pads (and alloy rims) are now pretty good even in the wet. I can pretty much lock the front wheel, and any old rubbish brakes will lock the back, so not sure there's that much improvement to be had. Admittedly wet weather performance is still an issue, but not a non-issue with discs either if my motrcycling experience is anything to go by. To be fair I've not tried disc brakes on a pedal bike, but nevertheless "ye cannae break the laws of physics" as a famous Scottish engineer once said

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've also seen the argument that in a racing scenario having mixed brakes (disc and rim) with different braking characteristics could be dangerous. I've no idea if that's true.

Reactions: mjr
I don't use "clipless" pedals on my MTB and my town bike.
And I didn't use them on the old hybrid which I've now donated away.

Two of those bikes I've done 100km rides on.

I do like "clipless" pedals - but I think a good shoe is far more important. I've got some flat soled cycling shoes and riding with them is almost as good as riding "clipless".

I think "clipless" is almost the most overated thing about road bikes.

That said, I think riding fixed and clipless once saved my life. A missile was thrown from a vehicle (in the days before I regularly wore a helmet) that hit me square on the bonce. It actually knocked me unconscious. When I came around some seconds later (ears ringing, vision slowly returning in what I can only describe as a pinhole that slowly widened) unbelievably I was still upright on the bike and still pedalling.
Continued on as if nothing had happened for a while. Until I realised I had blood pouring into my eyes and running all over my clothes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom