Chain repair has me confused

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That is why Ming said above to push the pin out far enough to detach the inner plate and no further.

It might be a surprise to you but some people don't live, eat and sleep bicycles.
Should the OP return to check the thread, is your comment constructive? Bear in mind they don't need to log-in to read your comment.

As for your contempt toward me, well ... hardly necessary or welcoming is it?

If you haven't got anything useful/nice/constructive to post, why bother?

Alex321

Guru
It might be a surprise to you but some people don't live, eat and sleep bicycles.
Should the OP return to check the thread, is your comment constructive? Bear in mind they don't need to log-in to read your comment.

Yes, I think it is.

As for your contempt toward me, well ... hardly necessary or welcoming is it?

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about here. What "contempt" have I shown you.
If you haven't got anything useful/nice/constructive to post, why bother?

I generally wouldn't.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have no idea what you are talking about here.
See thread's title.
Maybe @PedallingNowhereSlowly is confused.
is your comment constructive?
I think your comment on being dead carefull not to push the pin right out is as constructive as his (excellent advice) was (post #2), @Alex321. Though maybe could have left off the gratuitous 'by the way' (below):
Chain could do with a good clean and re-lube, by the looks of it.

richardfm

Veteran
To thread contributors: the OP is not hearing you!
johnmusk
Joined 25 Aug 2024
Last seen 25 Aug 2024

I wait for a pedalling slowly chatter to suggest that 'maybe they is a busy person'.

Does that matter? The thread will still be useful for people with similar problems.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Does that matter? The thread will still be useful for people with similar problems.
Agree @richardfm
Don't know about you but after a vigorous cleaning of a chain (in a jar with paraffin), I have lost one of the rollers in the end (inner) link as the OP may have done. I recognise the risk now and take more care, in fact a clean chain has just come out of the (low) oven.

I, like others, try to help on these threads but depreciate it when the effort made seems not to result in direct value: the OP fails to return (at least logged in) to benefit from the answers/advice. And this happens regularly. @PedallingNowhereSlowly (who seems a wannabe moderator) has previously suggested these new members who join, post and never return, are "maybe busy people": hence my gentle poke.
I cannot envisage how this can morph into a self-assessment of 'contempt', and one had to laugh when they went 'off on one' against @Alex321 : a pillar of society!

@PedallingNowhereSlowly gave an excellent and complete answer/advice in Post #2 and apart from the basic 'understand the parts of a chain' bit and 'use a quick link', @Ming the Merciless 's advice to take care not to push the pin right out is key (as @Alex321 reiterates). This thread, if it can be accessed by "people with similar problems", would be a quick help to increase their understanding.
I fear the chance of this cohort finding the thread is low, though.
Knowledge (contained in elements of some threads) is only useful if it is accessible, so thread titles are important. But only the OP can change it (and of course a non-returning OP never can).
"Chain repair has me confused" does not signpost the issue revealed in the OP nor the resolution offered by @PedallingNowhereSlowly
In CycleChat there used to be a function of keywords which I think were applied by @Moderators But others, like me, could augment this onerous work by adding keywords (like Shimano, chain, dropout, rotor, cassette). This function no longer exists (but the 'similar threads' wheeze appeared: which very occasionally has value: mostly necromancy).

Last edited:
I cannot envisage how this can morph into a self-assessment of 'contempt', and one had to laugh when they went 'off on one' against @Alex321 : a pillar of society!

I wait for a pedalling slowly chatter to suggest that 'maybe they is a busy person'.

There's no reason why a cycling forum should not have a convival atmosphere. Particularly in respect to first time posters.
Not for the first time, @Ajax Bay is demonstrating just the opposite.

who seems a wannabe moderator

^^ wtaf?
Excuse me for not wanting to see anyone discouraged from the hobby.

Top Bottom