Chain repair has me confused

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnmusk

I broke this chain with a mini-tool to shorten the chain, now I'm trying get the chain back to its original length.
So I'm trying to reconnect the section I removed (the right section) and fit it into the link piece on the left, but I have not a clue how to do it.
The left piece has cups on it, there is no way I can force that together with my hands. I can't start to drive the pin if I can't even get the ring piece in.
Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

bike chain 3.jpg

On the left and right ends, you have a pair of inner plates.
On the left end, you are missing a roller that sits over the cups.

They need to be joined by a set of outer plates, with the pins pushed through the outer places, ends of the inner plates and the rollers.

If you have the roller but not the outer plates, you could pop the roller back into position and then rejoin the chain with the appropriate quick link.

Chain could do with a good clean and re-lube, by the looks of it.

Big John

Guru
^^^^ What Pedallingslowlynowhere said. Your quickest and by far easiest solution is find that missing roller and then fit a quick link, providing you know how to fit a quick link. YouTube will show you how if you need advice.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
^^^^ What Pedallingslowlynowhere said. Your quickest and by far easiest solution is find that missing roller and then fit a quick link, providing you know how to fit a quick link. YouTube will show you how if you need advice.

probably quicker to get another roller from the bit that has been cut off , the other ones bound to have vanished under the bench/ bin/ fridge .

Reactions: C R

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
As all the above information.
You are trying to join two inner plates, you need the outer plates plus a roller.
Or a roller and the correct size quick link for the chain , ie. 5-7 speed, 8/9/10
Remember for the future that one link equals an inner and the outer sections of a chain.

Reactions: C R

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
On the left side push the pin out far enough to detach inner plates and roller but no more. Then attach to bike and place roller on right inside outer plates on left. Then push pin back. That’s old school if no quick links available.
I remember having to do that, back in the day. It relied on getting the alignment of all the bits absolutely bob-on. It helped if you had a good chain tool (and three or more very dextrous hands!).

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I can remember my first chain break, as an early teenager. The chain was split between two bricks with a hammer and an thin nail. Not the most genteel of efforts but it worked.

Getting a removed pin back in is not so easy.
I would fit a length of chain using a couple of quick links.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
On the left side push the pin out far enough to detach inner plates and roller but no more. Then attach to bike and place roller on right inside outer plates on left. Then push pin back. That’s old school if no quick links available.

I think that possibly also only applies 5-8 speed chains. I think 9 speed upwards are thinner and the pins are not designed to be removed and put back in. I believe that if you want to do this with these chains you are supposed to buy replacement pins because the metal in them is quite soft. If you try to put back a pin that has been previously removed it can come loose and lead to a chain breaking.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I think that possibly also only applies 5-8 speed chains. I think 9 speed upwards are thinner and the pins are not designed to be removed and put back in. I believe that if you want to do this with these chains you are supposed to buy replacement pins because the metal in them is quite soft. If you try to put back a pin that has been previously removed it can come loose and lead to a chain breaking.

Fine with 9 speed

presta

Guru
SRAM PC971 chains have pins with a countersink that shears off when you press them out, you can see it wrapped around the end of the chain tool. If you put the pin back in after that, you do so at the risk it will come back out again.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I broke this chain with a mini-tool . . . now I'm trying [to rejoin] the chain . . .
Any suggestions are appreciated.
To thread contributors: the OP is not hearing you!
johnmusk
Joined 25 Aug 2024
Last seen 25 Aug 2024

I wait for a pedalling slowly chatter to suggest that 'maybe they is a busy person'.

Alex321

Guru
Getting a removed pin back in is not so easy.
I would fit a length of chain using a couple of quick links.

That is why Ming said above to push the pin out far enough to detach the inner plate and no further.

I can remember trying to re-fit a detached pin (when I had no quick-links, in fact I didn't even know they existed), and you are right, it is really tricky. Took me about half an hour at the roadside to get it right - I did have a chain breaker on my multitool.

Top Bottom