Car Crash advice needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I had a no-fault claim 7 years ago; I was not even in the car at the time; a woman backed out of her drive, across the road and then up my son's drive before hitting my car. A no fault claim is still likely to increase premiums if the womens insurers are involved; the incident with your son's name against it will soon be logged on the CUE system, this will flag up when he goes to renew, all companies have access to CUE, non disclosal of an accident can be harmful to him.

I would agree, it is clearly called a No Claim Discount, not a No Blame Discount.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What ever happens let the insurance know. My son ran over a truck axel on a motorway (as did quite a few other drivers) - truck in front shat it. All reported, but the haulage company denied everything, so my son just repaired his car (broken wheel and subframe) It still showed up on the insurance renewal even though he didn't claim - it's on every database these days. Was a slight increase. If you want to keep the car try and repair yourself, otherwise it will be written off at that age/value. Or get a payout and fix.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Update, they've said they will pay for damage either by repair or simply pay out.

We've said by pay out, it will go in a pot for next year's insurance!!

Good. Bit of elbow grease can get some damage looking lots better on an old car and spray paints are a good match these days. Repainted the Aygo's front bumper a few months ago as the Lacquer started to peal due to age/UV.

Drago

Legendary Member
The advice I had from my insurance in similar circumstances was that if you claim you can't dictate to the insurance companies who they find to be at fault, and if you don't claim and you lose, you're on your own, you can't claim after you've made a hash of doing the job yourself.

The tell you that, but the Financial Ombudsman says otherwise.

presta

Guru
The tell you that, but the Financial Ombudsman says otherwise.

What does he say?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Another update - oh the stress!!

Their insurance has now contacted our insurance to say it was my lads fault.

His insurance are now blaming him, he has told them about the witness and the other car occupant so should be able to defend this. They are also claiming he didn't inform them previously about a moped theft 3 years ago, I'm sure he did because I remember discussing at the time.

He is worried they will cancel his insurance which will lose his job, people shouldn't be put through this worry and stress

figbat

Slippery scientist

His insurance are now blaming him, he has told them about the witness and the other car occupant so should be able to defend this. They are also claiming he didn't inform them previously about a moped theft 3 years ago, I'm sure he did because I remember discussing at the time.

He is worried they will cancel his insurance which will lose his job, people shouldn't be put through this worry and stress

Presumably your son should somewhere have a copy of his insurance particulars that were given at the time of taking out the policy - it should state on there what answers were given to what questions, or at least what was used as the basis for issuing the policy.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Presumably your son should somewhere have a copy of his insurance particulars that were given at the time of taking out the policy - it should state on there what answers were given to what questions, or at least what was used as the basis for issuing the policy.

Yes it must be somewhere and there is a chance he may have left it off, if so nothing he can do now and he runs the risk of them cancelling. I assume if they say they didn't know then he mustn't have made it known? An error but again frustrating as the theft was not his fault, times like this you feel the world is against you.

The immediate concern is the lady blaming him for something that isn't his fault, he should not have to be responsible for something that isn't his fault. Regardless of the footage being corrupted which will will try to recover is he has a passenger as a witness and an independent witness from the car behind.

He is very stressed and upset as am I

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Something odd going on.....

He has phoned the ladys insurance who agree she has accepted full repsonsibility and they contacted our insurance to inform them.

Our insurance saying he may be at fault and they will send to a third party who will make the decision?

We now trying to phone them back to understand why they are doing this?

Also been in touch with a company to recover the SD card data, but pricy, starts at £150 but only pay if they manage it, its worth the money for piece of mind.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

A thought. Does his policy include legal cover/advice? May be worth a conversation with them?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
A thought. Does his policy include legal cover/advice? May be worth a conversation with them?

After several phone calls it seems her I surance agree it's her fault but she has contested it. So the first notification to our insurance was it was his fault, they have since agreed to pay him but haven't updated his insurance. They said they will send an email once they sort it with heir client.

So can breath for now but waiting to see if she accepts or her insurance pursue regardless

We have shared witness details so now have to wait

Top Bottom