Can i put Drop bars on my Boardman hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edwardd67

I have a Boardman hybrid can i replace the straight bars with drops?
It has SRAM X5 gears.

If so what would i need to replace?
I'm a bit of a novice so please be gentle.

Other option get a proper road bike.

Cheers
Ed

david1701

I think the issue is the drop levers, if you had say cross style levers only then its just a set of drop bars but to have the brakes at the front means new brake/gear leaver units and they don't fit all the types of brake/gear and I don't really know any more than that I'm afraid

edindave

Über Member
My Boardman Hybrid Pro has hydraulic disc brakes - not compatible with any drop bar shifters (that I'm aware of).

However the Hybrid Ltd Edition it has V brakes so fitting drop bars would be easier.
Not sure if the other hybrid models have hydraulic disc brakes or cable(?) disc brakes.

You could always put V brakes on instead, but you'd need to replace the wheels too... in the end you might end up with a completely new bike except for the original frame, derailleurs, chainset and saddle! (That's assuming you find shifters that work with your SRAM gears!
wacko.gif
)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Getting V-brakes working with drop bar levers is a problem, and I suspect SRAM rear mechs will only work with SRAM DoubleTap levers - but they won't work a triple front mech.
It's really not a goer IMHO. You're going to need a whole new groupset, and the geometry will still be that of a hybrid and not a road bike.

GrasB

Veteran
I have a Boardman hybrid can i replace the straight bars with drops?
It has SRAM X5 gears.

If so what would i need to replace?
I'm a bit of a novice so please be gentle.

Other option get a proper road bike.

Cheers
Ed
Geometrically it's going to be a problem, drops add significant amount of extra reach so you need to start with a frame that's to small for you on flat bars. Then add in you'll need to swap over to a new groupset & you're probably better off cutting your losses going for a new bike, I'd go for a Boardman CX if I was buying now.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
SRAM MTB Mechs are 1:1 pull ratio, don't know if their road stuff is the same. Doubt Rival shifters will work with MTB mechs.

Cheaper to sell and buy a drop bar road bike.

Top Bottom