Can anybody identify this car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
My Missus is doing her family tree and we stumbled upon a photo of one of her relatives. Sadly, the image was posted in a paper in the 60's print of a photo which i estimated to be around 1905, so the girl in the photo is barely discernible. We are however interested in the story attached. It was believed to be possibly the first motor car in the town. The model number it lists has me stumped. Im fairly familiar with cars, but not of this vintage and so looking at the car i reckon it to be a De Dion-Bouton of some variety but the model number has no relationship with car manufacturer as far as i can tell. Maybe it isn't a model number, but a registration? Anyway, A De Dion-Bouton E series types looks nothing like it. However, we have learned that the research we have done in the past til' now, it is not always wise to discount the information given in photo's and articles without good reason. So here is the picture, it's not detailed unfortunately, but i feel there might be enough for those familiar with cars of this vintage to identify.

Annie Watson.png

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I had such a thing in my previous life!! 🧐

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
This is apparently a 1905 de Dion Bouton, now in Australia. Looks very similar to the vehicle in the photograph; although the number-plate mounting seems to be absent from the newspaper picture.

Untitled.jpg

In the newspaper picture, the driver appears to be wearing a woman's hat. Is this just a fiction created by dodgy printing or is there more to the picture than the story tells? Some interesting research in store here. Good luck with it all!

Last edited:
OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Thanks for the suggestions, it gives me more pointers to research further.

This is apparently a 1905 de Dion Bouton, now in Australia. Looks very similar to the vehicle in the photograph; although the number-plate mounting seems to be absent from the newspaper picture.

View attachment 746678

In the newspaper picture, the driver appears to be wearing a woman's hat. Is this just a fiction created by dodgy printing or is there more to the picture than the story tells? Some interesting research in store here. Good luck with it all!

That's what I had in mind. I have seen some with the number plate near the starting handle mechanism box but not sure if that was normal for the UK. On the driver, I see what you mean. Rather fetching If it isn't down to the poor quality of the print, especially with his apparent Dick Strawbridge moustache! :laugh:

OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I think the front is more vertical than the DeDion.
How about this ?

View attachment 746693

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horley_(automobile)

That looks a very close match.

OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Is the 'E139' in the newspaper article a reference to the registration plate (introduced in 1904) rather than the make or model of the car?

I did wonder that although im unfamiliar with the registration number plates of that time. If that is the case, then i would absolutely say that you are correct and seems to date the picture as i suspect of around 1905. I've been looking at the "E139" to cars of that time and there is not even a vague connection with a car model.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I did wonder that although im unfamiliar with the registration number plates of that time. If that is the case, then i would absolutely say that you are correct and seems to date the picture as i suspect of around 1905. I've been looking at the "E139" to cars of that time and there is not even a vague connection with a car model.

This is what I found while looking around...
The first series of number plates was issued in 1903 and ran until 1932, consisting of a one- or two-letter code followed by a sequence number from 1 to 9999.[47] The code indicated the local authority in whose area the vehicle was registered. In England and Wales, these were initially allocated in order of population size (by the 1901 census) – thus A indicated London, B indicated Lancashire, C indicated the West Riding of Yorkshire and so on to Y indicating Somerset, then AA indicated Hampshire, AB indicated Worcestershire and so on to FP indicating Rutland.
Staffordshire would have been issued with the 'E' prefix if it was highly populated and the plate the 139th issued in the county.

classic33

Leg End Member
Registered in 1904, if a vintage registration number site is to be believed.
They give the county it was registered as Staffordshire, which matches part of what you have

OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
If the newspaper still exists, might an enquiry to it elicit a fair copy of the original?

The paper is now defunct unfortunately. It was in the Rugeley Post which went in around 2010ish. As to where I'd go from there i don't know.

Top Bottom