Calling all Irish: paperwork/passport question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Spent the night at the Irish embassy in Beijing years ago getting peed on rice wine.Did a English language commercial the next day in between chundering up !

Adam4868

Guru
The only two places to check n send were Liverpool(upstairs in which Smith's) and London.
Good little scam they have by saying that your photo isn't acceptable,round the corner for more at a tenner !

classic33

Leg End Member
The only two places to check n send were Liverpool(upstairs in which Smith's) and London.
Good little scam they have by saying that your photo isn't acceptable,round the corner for more at a tenner !
Don't WHSmiths have photo booths for taking passport/travel card sized pictures.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5070868, member: 9609"]can you change countries when you already have a passport ? have a british but born in dublin (only there a week) parents english. Although I quiet fancy getting a Scottish passport when we break away in a few years - would I be allowed one? lived here over half me life.[/QUOTE]
If you know which hospital, they'll have recorded the birth.

You can hold two passports.

Adam4868

Guru
Don't WHSmiths have photo booths for taking passport/travel card sized pictures.
No they didn't have one,it's too long to explain (literally mm out( but was talking too the fella in the photo shop and he said they get a average of 10 a day ! Lucky my Mrs is a master forger as we had to have photos signed aswell...

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Dia duit, mo chairde.

For years I've been planning to get an Irish passport, and what with Brexit an all that, I think I really will. Both my parents were Irish, born there, met in UK and got married here. Dad died 32 years ago, and mum died 26 yrs ago ... I have absolutely no idea where their paperwork is these days!

I need copies of their birth certs ... only one (of 11) of my dad's siblings still alive, and she's in a home with dementia. I'm kind of estranged from my mum's surviving siblings (she was one of 10, I think only 2 of them left).

Any idea how I get hold of their birth certs?

Any advice/experiences appreciated

I'll ask my brother, he does all that ancestry stuff and recently got his new Irish passport. I know it took six months and cost £350 for all his certificates etc. I'll be able to do it for about £80 as he has all the paperwork I need.

[QUOTE 5070868, member: 9609"]can you change countries when you already have a passport ? have a british but born in dublin (only there a week) parents english. Although I quiet fancy getting a Scottish passport when we break away in a few years - would I be allowed one? lived here over half me life.[/QUOTE]
You can have as many passports as citizenships. I don't think there is an upper maximum. Two is very common.

Some countries won't allow dual citizenships, but UK and Ireland do.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My nephews and nieces have gone green, courtesy of their late grandma, my two are next and tlh will go for hers, thus the costs of obtaining the originals are spread across about 20 people.

I don't qualify. All my great grandparents were born in Ireland but I cannot find proof that my grandparents were even though family lore asserts at least two were. Guess I'll be in the long queue with the blue passport holders.
Can you find their birth records anywhere? Depending on when and where born you maybe able to search online (I can access my grandparents details because they were born over 100 years ago via GRONI - General Record Office Northern Ireland, whereas parents and mine are too recent to view online)

I can't decide if it's worth the hassle of having two passports if Mr Summerdays has to go through the UK line anyway....

Last edited:
The Swiss are very efficient about these things. I've a friend who has Swiss nationality through his grandparents. When he rang the embassy to register his then teenage children, they said "yes, we know" and recited his children's names and dates of birth. Ditto his wife.

Which means none of them can sit in the Australian parliament.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Doesn’t look like that's an option.

http://www.germany-visa.org/german-citizenship/

(unless your mother claimed German citizenship AND registered you before you were one )

===

The Swiss are very efficient about these things. I've a friend who has Swiss nationality through his grandparents. When he rang the embassy to register his then teenage children, they said "yes, we know" and recited his children's names and dates of birth. Ditto his wife.

Which means none of them can sit in the Australian parliament.
Hence I deleted my post after a quick Google

Top Bottom