Buying a used ebike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I get your point. I will continue to cycle on my existing bicycle but ebike will increase my range and I won't get super sweat. I think it's mental as I have a problem cycling at a leisure pace. It's the testosterone and some mental traits combined. I have to start to respect my body in my 40ties otherwise I won't make to 50ties.

Best way to reduce pace is remove any bike computer, ride on perceived effort. Z2 will be the optimal for improving fitness without fatigue. I get your desire for comfort of non sweat riding, that why I use an Ebike.

Re range, a cheap Ebike will likely not increase your range

If you cycle currently, why would you need an Ebike.?

Don't get me wrong I have an Ebike and they're great for flattening hills and quelling headwinds. Me and the Mrs recently did the King Alfreds way with our Ebikes. For her it was a godsend, having never ridden back to back for 5/6 days. She is a non cy

They allow us to travel to restaurants, arriving non sweaty

Very useful if you work somewhere where you can;t get changed when you get into work and can;t afford to smell sweaty all day

or wet due to rain and stuff

Also - if motivation is dropping then the ability to ride a little bit faster and further means that you might go out more often
and 5 bike rides of 30 miles on an ebike in low assist levels could well work out better for you than 1 or 2 rides of 15 miles on a "proper" bike

maybe - if all depends on the person

OP
OP
J

JackStraw

Regular
What do you think about used Haibike sDuro Trekking 1.0
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/products/electric-bike-haibike-sduro-trekking-1-0-2020
It looks like a decent Bosch kit but the motor is not in the wheels.
I found a used one for under £700. Apparently the man has done under 2k miles in 3 months.
He bought it 3 months ago and the range is showing as 54 miles on eco when fully charged.
He upgraded to eMTB as Haibike is his first ebike.

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/products/electric-bike-haibike-sduro-trekking-1-0-2020
I found a used one for under £700. Apparently the man has done under 2k miles in 3 months.
He bought it 3 months ago and the range is showing as 54 miles on eco when fully charged.

Seems like a good buy

The range seems rather low - I have a smaller battery and still get more range than that and it is over 5 years old and done nearly 10,000 miles
however, it is an older motor so might use less electrons or something

Also - I ride mostly on flat paths so if the range is intelligent then that might explain it

Seems like a good buy

The range seems rather low - I have a smaller battery and still get more range than that and it is over 5 years old and done nearly 10,000 miles
however, it is an older motor so might use less electrons or something

Also - I ride mostly on flat paths so if the range is intelligent then that might explain it

Agreed. £700 for a <2k example is a good deal I think, I'd be tempted to offer £600 espcially as he's already bought the replacement and probably not using that one any more. Haibike's are on my list to replace my current bike when that becomes uneconomic to maintain.

Sorry ninja edit I just noticed the 'in 3 months' bit. Thats quite high useage for a short period. I'd actually go a lot lower on his asking price, maybe £350?

That Haibike sDuro Trekking 1.0 is very similar to my Raleigh Motus Grandtour. Mine has 500w battery and shows a range of 50-60 miles on Eco on the computer. In use I've never had more than 55 from it.

The battery indicator on mine isn't a good judge, but the mileage of the current trip is. What I mean is the display has 5 bars on it, and the last one will start flashing when low. In practice I find I get upto 30 miles before the 2nd bar disapears, the next 3 though will disapear very quickly and if starts flashing I've got about a mile at best lol.

Basically any ride I do upto 40 miles I don't worry about battery use, and anything above that I try to stick to Eco but I've never run out if I need to boost myself up a hill.

OP
OP
J

JackStraw

Regular
Agreed. £700 for a <2k example is a good deal I think, I'd be tempted to offer £600 espcially as he's already bought the replacement and probably not using that one any more. Haibike's are on my list to replace my current bike when that becomes uneconomic to maintain.

Sorry ninja edit I just noticed the 'in 3 months' bit. Thats quite high useage for a short period. I'd actually go a lot lower on his asking price, maybe £350?

That Haibike sDuro Trekking 1.0 is very similar to my Raleigh Motus Grandtour. Mine has 500w battery and shows a range of 50-60 miles on Eco on the computer. In use I've never had more than 55 from it.

The battery indicator on mine isn't a good judge, but the mileage of the current trip is. What I mean is the display has 5 bars on it, and the last one will start flashing when low. In practice I find I get upto 30 miles before the 2nd bar disapears, the next 3 though will disapear very quickly and if starts flashing I've got about a mile at best lol.

Basically any ride I do upto 40 miles I don't worry about battery use, and anything above that I try to stick to Eco but I've never run out if I need to boost myself up a hill.

are you saying that he bought it used and this is a 4 year old bicycle so the battery cannot be good?
I understand the ebike business is similar to electric cars and once the battery is done the value of a bicycle drops like 75%?

are you saying that he bought it used and this is a 4 year old bicycle so the battery cannot be good?
I understand the ebike business is similar to electric cars and once the battery is done the value of a bicycle drops like 75%?

Not me saying, he is saying it that he has had the bike 3 months and done less than 2k on it (lets just say 2k for sake of argument). So its not that I'd be worried about the total age of the bike, just how many times the battery has been discharged/charged in that time to cover those 2k miles as thats what shortens the life of the battery. Bosch Batteries are normally rated for upto 500 cycles guaranteed, and estimated to have 1000 over their lifetime. It is a 2020 model though so unless he bought it from new old stock, its likely to have been used before that.

To be fair if it looks like its in good condition, and he says he he's looked after it (which we take on trust) I do think its probably still ok, but perhaps not worth £700.

Just when the battery will be 'done' I don't know BTW. My own mileage is now about 2k also, but thats been over 2 years of say about 150-250 rides, and I haven't always charged the battery after every ride so I've probably done 200 cyles of discharge/charging and the range is still as it was when I got the bike.

Dadam

Über Member
It does seem a lot of miles in 3 months. But if he was commuting on it every weekday, that would be 60 days with an average of 33.3 miles per day which is a doable commute on an e-bike and if it is the case would probably have been charged a few dozen times. I don't know his range, it depends how flat the terrain is, how heavy he is and what load he's carrying. If it was that usage profile I would probably be charging every night, or at most every other night. So using this back of fag packet maths it's had maybe 30-60 charges. Bear in mind a full "charge cycle" isn't every time you put it on charge, it's from empty to full, so going from 30% to 80% is half a charge cycle.

Alternatively he's been doing a LOT of shorter journeys, food delivery maybe?

Either way it wouldn't necessarily put me off the bike

It does seem a lot of miles in 3 months. But if he was commuting on it every weekday, that would be 60 days with an average of 33.3 miles per day which is a doable commute on an e-bike and if it is the case would probably have been charged a few dozen times. I don't know his range, it depends how flat the terrain is, how heavy he is and what load he's carrying. If it was that usage profile I would probably be charging every night, or at most every other night. So using this back of fag packet maths it's had maybe 30-60 charges. Bear in mind a full "charge cycle" isn't every time you put it on charge, it's from empty to full, so going from 30% to 80% is half a charge cycle.

Alternatively he's been doing a LOT of shorter journeys, food delivery maybe?

Either way it wouldn't necessarily put me off the bike
I didn't know that, learning new things every day!

I did get my 'Bosch eBike Battery Guide' out to check but it didn't make it clear. It does talk about tips to help life (don't discharge to 0 if you can help it) and charging times but didn't make it clear what a charge cycle is, or how many I could expect though I found that info elsewhere.

It is not just the charge cycles that can mess up a battery

If it is left at low charge for a length of time then this can be very bad for the battery
You are supposed to get it to 1/2 - 3/4 charge if you won;t be leaving it for any length of time - leaving it at a low charge encourages the growth of dendrites (I think - something like that - look it up for details) that really screw up the battery

As far as range goes - I only know that my 2019 Motus has a 300W battery - so smaller than any available nowadays!
Also the motor has been upgraded since then
but I can easily do 2 20 miles rides on it without worrying - assuming that I don't go up many hills
If I need to then I can get a shortish ride beyond that but after 10 miles I better be well on my way home or get ready to ride with no motor!

Having said which it rides well with no battery power left - no obvious resistance from the motor in spite which I have heard is a problem on some makes - maybe even the Bosch performance range

But 50 miles is about the limit for it - from a 300W battery - but older motor type

OP
OP
J

JackStraw

Regular
Ok, I got the bike. It has been clarified to me and this is what I see on the screen the ebike did only ~1850 miles since new.
I don't know if the firmware on it has been upgraded or not and if this resets the mileage.
So far I only went for a single trip, not a demanding terrain in the forest gravel roads, did 15 miles mostly on ECO 70% and TURBO 30% and the battery just dropped from 5 to 4 bars.
It definitely prevents my heart from reaching cardio. I use to cycle over 20mph so the bike backs me up up to like ~17mph?
I think I have to get use to cruising.
I have to sort out the timer so I charge it up to 4 bars rather than to full.

Well done and very nice bike for under 2000 miles and less than £700. My experience is of two Raleigh Motus bikes with Bosch motors, my own and Mrs EV's. Your bike was probably made in the same Accell factory in Hungary; the label is usually visible at the back of the motor or the downtube. Mine is 2nd hand in lovely nick with under 1000 miles when I bought it at 18 months, and I've added coming up to 2000 miles in just over two years. It's a 400 battery which I try and charge at two bars but before it drops to one bar, and charging it to 5 bars though not usually to completely full - when the software and charger are programmed to stop anyway.

Norfolk is pretty flat of course but the display on 5 bars after a complete charge still always shows between 100 and 110 miles for Eco. I've often wondered if the software learns the rider's riding style, and how much it is ridden above the 15.5 mph, but about 110 is what Bosch claimed for a new 400 battery. I had the software updated by a dealer when I got It, and the printout shows that the ECU does know exactly what percentage of riding is done at each level. My wife's 500 battery has a claimed 140 miles at new. Out of interest I've twice deliberately discharged to empty so I could see how far I got...and got just over 100 both times. I find that the bar display is pretty accurate as to how much battery has been used, and it takes a surprisingly long time before it drops to 4 bars. However, and as expected, 2 bars and 1 bar do not represent the same distance available as obtained from the 4th or 5th bar.

Enjoy it.

Last edited:

Dadam

Über Member
Sounds like a nice bike, enjoy! The Motus seems to have a good rep. I exchanged a few words at a traffic light with a chap commuting on one, he said he loved his.

Top Bottom