Buying a new car tomorrow and was wondering how quick the DVLA data base is to getting it taxed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dicko

Guru
That's the answer I wanted to hear.
It sounds like if get it insured for midnight Friday into Saturday onwards it should be showing up as insured on Saturday morning for me tax at the P office

I don’t think it’s that quick to show as taxed, perhaps a day or so. However it does seem that the DVLA will take your money and you receive an email showing it’s taxed immediately. And as long as the insurance company accepts your money they too send an email showing its insured immediately.

toffee

Guru
Hi,
Well the time has come and after 11/12 years of ownership my trusty old knackered car is being replaced.
I'm buying a new to me car tomorrow but with work and time constraints I won't be picking it up until Saturday.
So here's the plan.
Tomorrow I will pay for the car and get the vehicle registration documents sorted out.Friday I will change my car insurance so that the new one will be insured from Saturday onwards
Saturday morning it will then be a trip to the post office to get it taxed and I will go and pick the new car up.
Now it's my understanding in order to tax a car it has to be insured.
When I go to the post office on Saturday morning to tax it ,will the database be updated by then showing it's insured or does it take a few days.
Sorry for question that may be obvious to some but it's been so long since I've bought another car I've frankly lost track of how things work nowadays.
All the very best,
Johnny.

Just sit in the car after you have bought it and tax it on line using your phone and it will be instant. You'll get a confirmation email.

The system doesn't check insurance for online VED payments

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Taxing on line is far quicker and easier, I've done it for the last few vehicles I've owned. https://vehicletax.service.gov.uk/

Do you have a tax reminder letter (V11)? No, then>
I have the V5C/2 new keeper slip (green slip)
Enter Reg of the vehicle
Enter 12 digit code on new keeper slip
That's as far as I can go without putting in actual details, but they will ask for a few more details, insert card details, voila you are taxed

I think there is a delay between taxing it and it appearing on the system
Including the system the Police use

I got stopped some years ago when I had just bought a new car - Police were quite happy when I said I had only just bought it

but I would keep the emails handy on you phone to show them anyway - should be no problem in the unlikely event that you do get stopped

Top Bottom