Buying a new car tomorrow and was wondering how quick the DVLA data base is to getting it taxed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
Well the time has come and after 11/12 years of ownership my trusty old knackered car is being replaced.
I'm buying a new to me car tomorrow but with work and time constraints I won't be picking it up until Saturday.
So here's the plan.
Tomorrow I will pay for the car and get the vehicle registration documents sorted out.Friday I will change my car insurance so that the new one will be insured from Saturday onwards
Saturday morning it will then be a trip to the post office to get it taxed and I will go and pick the new car up.
Now it's my understanding in order to tax a car it has to be insured.
When I go to the post office on Saturday morning to tax it ,will the database be updated by then showing it's insured or does it take a few days.
Sorry for question that may be obvious to some but it's been so long since I've bought another car I've frankly lost track of how things work nowadays.
All the very best,
Johnny.

OldShep

Über Member
Depends on your insurer as to how soon your policy will show on the database https://motorscan.co.uk/car-insurance/how-long-does-it-take-for-insurance-to-show-on-askmid
Going to a post office to tax it is a novel idea. I’d keep checking the MIB and when it appears tax online it’s simple.

I test drove a car and took it home in under 3 hours a few weeks ago. I paid for it, rang my insurers and asked them to swap the cover over with immediate effect.

The garage filled in the road tax form online up to the point of me making payment and then I completed my card details. HTH

That's what I did
I told the insurnace I would be picking the new car up at x o'clock and they gave me a couple of hours eitehr side in case of delays etc

I think the tax was sorted out at the garage

if in doubt ring the garage and ask them - they do this all the time

Drago

Legendary Member
If its currently taxed it will run to the end of the month, even it the car is sold, so you can at least drive it home - the tax status won't change until the DVLA receive the V5 back. Check it on the DVLA vehicle query page to be sure.

But as the chaps suggest above, it youve sorted your insurance beforehand you'll li,Ely have no problems taking it o lj e with your phone then and there.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
That explains it
when you change the insurance - ask them maybe?

That's a good idea

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
The insurance company will no doubt send me a new certificate via an email.Would that be sufficient if I showed the post office this on the Saturday morning

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I'm not to upto speed with taxing a vehicle online.
I've always been old school and I have just popped into the post office to sort it for me.On the Saturday I will need to Sorn the old car and tax the new one (I always pay monthly for it)
I know,it all probably sounds over complicated for something that's essentially simple but I was wanting to get it sorted this weekend as I will get no time to do it in the week due to being to busy

dicko

Guru
It’s pretty quick really, I sold our Renault Clio mk1 at 7pm the buyer wanted to drive it home so we connected to my internet, I informed DVLA of the sale and new owner then insured it online and taxed in his name it all was completed within 15 mins. He got in and drove it off. This was 2015.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
That's the answer I wanted to hear.
It sounds like if get it insured for midnight Friday into Saturday onwards it should be showing up as insured on Saturday morning for me tax at the P office

Top Bottom