Brompton grips..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
3 words.

De cath lon.

EDIT. They have a great range of grips THESE are excellent. I have them on one of my Kingpins, they are very comfortable. Good value too.

DOUBLE EDIT. FYI I have bought recently the Brooks leather handle bar grips, but that’s because I’m a ponce and I like saddle and grips to match. Obviously I had to pay the Brooks tax. But, they look soooo nice. They would look smashing on your Brompton.

Thanks - should have had a poke about in the grips bit when I was picking up my skin dessicant on Monday... even had the bike with me!

Kell

Veteran
With regard to the horns on mine, I do use them on longer rides. Or sometimes hills.

TBH when I’m pressing on on the flat, I bring my hands inboard and rest on the shifters

I didn’t have to cut mine at all but then I don’t have standard Brompton bars.

Kell

Veteran
IMG_6396.jpeg

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks - might be worth a squirt to try them out although I'm reluctant to buy via post on FB!

Photo of mine with £5 Decathlon grips fitted

View attachment 740463
Nice - those looks pretty decent :smile:

Another contender has entered the ring - the Ergon GS1 Evo:

42416015_detail_1.png

Seems they're a bit more svelt than the usual GP1 and I prefer the aesthetic, however it appears that the big dealbreaker might be that the clamps are now inboard; presumably making length less critical and as such removing the potential to have to shorten them to fit.

Road.cc seem to think highly of them, for what that's worth.

My only concern is whether they'd be degraded by the Vaseline on my hands like the current ones.. perhaps I'll drop them an email..

chriswoody

Legendary Member
With regard Ergon grips, whilst I don't own a Brompton I do have Ergon GA3's on my Mountain bike. I've had them for two years now and they look almost as good as new, no obvious degradation of the rubber at all.

I don't tend to use vaseline but in the summer months I use a lot of sun cream and obviously riding in Northern Europe it gets very hot, so I have ridden a lot with suncream/sweaty/greasy hands and I can't say it's affected the rubber at all. No matter what state my hands are in actually the rubber has remained unaffected.

One other interesting thing I discovered was that Ergon have two sizes of grips, Large and Medium. Using the hand measuring chart on their website I found I had large hands, which surprised me. Two years in and I must admit the large size grips have been brilliant and really comfortable, so much so I've successfully also purchased large size winter riding gloves which fit me much better than the mediums I had been buying.

So my experiences of Ergon after two years has been very positive and definitely worth the money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

With regard Ergon grips, whilst I don't own a Brompton I do have Ergon GA3's on my Mountain bike. I've had them for two years now and they look almost as good as new, no obvious degradation of the rubber at all.

I don't tend to use vaseline but in the summer months I use a lot of sun cream and obviously riding in Northern Europe it gets very hot, so I have ridden a lot with suncream/sweaty/greasy hands and I can't say it's affected the rubber at all. No matter what state my hands are in actually the rubber has remained unaffected.

One other interesting thing I discovered was that Ergon have two sizes of grips, Large and Medium. Using the hand measuring chart on their website I found I had large hands, which surprised me. Two years in and I must admit the large size grips have been brilliant and really comfortable, so much so I've successfully also purchased large size winter riding gloves which fit me much better than the mediums I had been buying.

So my experiences of Ergon after two years has been very positive and definitely worth the money.

Thanks - appreciate your reassurance!

According to the sizing chart on their website I'm about at the mid-point between both sizes and was considering the small size..

Top Bottom