Brompton grips..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The original items on my C-line have taken a hammering because the vaseline on my hands has evidently degraded the natural rubber.. so I'm looking for replacements.

Obviously natural rubber is out. I've heard good things about the shaped Ergon grips, but don't much like the cost, aesthetic or idea of having to cut them to fit.

Leather potentially appeals although I'm not a fan of Brooks stuff, or its pricing.

The foam ones from the higher-end models look half-decent and not terribly priced - can anyone comment on their comfort and longevity compared to the lower-end rubber ones please?

Also interested to hear any suggestions of alternatives :smile:

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Decathlon foam grips less than a fiver a pair. Ideal for a Brompton, I’ve used them for years

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Screenshot_20240808-082700~2.png

I have these on my S6L as I found the original grips too skinny and hard. These ones don't affect the fold.
Just checked on Ama zon but they're unavailable now. There's loads of similar 'ergo' grips around, though.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Decathlon foam grips less than a fiver a pair. Ideal for a Brompton, I’ve used them for years
Thanks - how do you find the foam for comfort? It's not nec. the first choice of material I'd consider, however since most are rubber and alternatives are likely to be hard plastic it seems like potentially the least-worst solution..

View attachment 740213
I have these on my S6L as I found the original grips too skinny and hard. These ones don't affect the fold.
Just checked on Ama zon but they're unavailable now. There's loads of similar 'ergo' grips around, though.
Thanks - there do seem to be a lot of generically ergo-shaped / stitched efforts about. Tbh the choice is overwhelming!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Thanks - there do seem to be a lot of generically ergo-shaped / stitched efforts about. Tbh the choice is overwhelming!
There are!
I took an allen key with me for a few rides and twiddled the angle for the most comfortable hand position.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Do you lube up your hands with vaseline every ride or it is a by product of some recreational activity you cycle to?

People moan about them for being a bit cheapo, but I just used the standard brommie foam grips on my brommie. Replaced once in 19 years.

Gunk

Guru
Thanks - how do you find the foam for comfort? It's not nec. the first choice of material I'd consider, however since most are rubber and alternatives are likely to be hard plastic it seems like potentially the least-worst solution..

They suit the Brompton with its small wheels and hard ride, just provides a bit of cushioning and stops the tingling in my hands.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

They suit the Brompton with its small wheels and hard ride, just provides a bit of cushioning and stops the tingling in my hands.
Cheers - had a few hand problems last year (which in this context don't seem to have returned) so some cushioning would be very welcome :smile:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Do you lube up your hands with vaseline every ride or it is a by product of some recreational activity you cycle to?

People moan about them for being a bit cheapo, but I just used the standard brommie foam grips on my brommie. Replaced once in 19 years.

In the morning I'm usually on the bike within an hour of getting out of the shower, which is followed by liberal application of Vaseline in an effort to discourage my skin from falling apart any more than it already is.

Obviously I also like to get greased up before cottaging on Saturday night, but that's only once a fortnight so I don't think is the main problem..

I'd not have a problem with the standard grips if they didn't fall apart; which seems to be a known issue anyway but I suspect my choice of skincare isn't helping..

neilrichardson55

There’s is some nice hand made leather ones on eBay not brooks m. About 20ish quid which look ok :smile: I keep on taking chunks out of my foam ones :sad:

Attachments

• IMG_5908.jpeg
    IMG_5908.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 11

Kell

Veteran
I fitted some ergonomic ones to my bike after removing them from my Dahon when it got binned. From memory, I think they were bio-logic (THESE certainly look similar). If that link is correct, they’re about £20.

I did have them paired with some proper old-school MTB end bars for for the first six or seven years. Noticed in the winter tha tmy hands got freezing whenever I used them though, so I put cheap foam grips on them. But where I used to park my bike at work, meant leaning it against a wall. So to keep the foam from falling off, I wrapped duct tape around those.

Looked terrible, but were comfortable.

IMG_6395.jpeg

Finally my missus had had enough and told me to get new ones as it all looked a bit poo. Plus, I didn’t use the bar-ends anywhere near as much as I thought I might.

Splashed out for the Ergon GP3 grips and they do look a lot better. I definitely think some sort of ergo grips helps a lot if you have your bike set up to be any way 'sporty'. Supports the heels of your hands really well.

What I would say is that I can't really tell any difference in the way they feel - only in the way they look. So I'm not sure if I'd recommend the Ergons over and above A N Other brand.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just be aware, some of the cheaper 'ergo' grips don't lock onto the bar terribly well and flex. Depends whether that's an issue - my wife has a generic set on her hybrid and they 'move' a bit, but it's not an issue. I've got Ergon GP3's and they are rock solid.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Thanks all!
There’s is some nice hand made leather ones on eBay not brooks m. About 20ish quid which look ok :smile: I keep on taking chunks out of my foam ones :sad:
Cheers for the thought - not sure I could get on board with those blue bits; however..

I fitted some ergonomic ones to my bike after removing them from my Dahon when it got binned. From memory, I think they were bio-logic (THESE certainly look similar). If that link is correct, they’re about £20.

I did have them paired with some proper old-school MTB end bars for for the first six or seven years. Noticed in the winter tha tmy hands got freezing whenever I used them though, so I put cheap foam grips on them. But where I used to park my bike at work, meant leaning it against a wall. So to keep the foam from falling off, I wrapped duct tape around those.

Looked terrible, but were comfortable.

View attachment 740256

Finally my missus had had enough and told me to get new ones as it all looked a bit poo. Plus, I didn’t use the bar-ends anywhere near as much as I thought I might.

Splashed out for the Ergon GP3 grips and they do look a lot better. I definitely think some sort of ergo grips helps a lot if you have your bike set up to be any way 'sporty'. Supports the heels of your hands really well.

What I would say is that I can't really tell any difference in the way they feel - only in the way they look. So I'm not sure if I'd recommend the Ergons over and above A N Other brand.
Thanks - tbh there seems to be so much variation in offerings with little ability to try in the real world, so I reckon it would be wise going with the ergons just because they're a known quantity (and seem like a decent, ethical company).

I am quite tempted, although somewhat hesitant due to the (potential) need to cut them, as well as uncertainty over whether my greasy hands would ruin them as they're ruining the originals..

Do you find you're using the horns much on the new ones? Do they get in the way / affect the fold at all?

I've never had to cut Ergon grips, on old M-Bar, new M-Bar and definitely not on S-Bars. The small ones fit fine if you move the brake levers a little.
Cheers - that's interesting. Do you know if the small size are shorter than the large ones? One source I found online suggested that (rightly or wrongly) most peole go for the large; however I do have relatively small hands so this could be a deal-breaker if they'll go on without any choppy-choppy. How much do you reckon you had to move the lever inboard by?

Just be aware, some of the cheaper 'ergo' grips don't lock onto the bar terribly well and flex. Depends whether that's an issue - my wife has a generic set on her hybrid and they 'move' a bit, but it's not an issue. I've got Ergon GP3's and they are rock solid.
Thanks and yeah; as above I think if I went this way it'd be Ergon or bust :smile:

So far it looks like it's down to a set of Ergons depending on the situation with fit and material, or failing that some hitherto undiscovered MTB grips in neoprene foam or silicone rubber. Hopefully the existing ones will endure some more abuse and give me some time to reach a decision..

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
3 words.

De cath lon.

EDIT. They have a great range of grips THESE are excellent. I have them on one of my Kingpins, they are very comfortable. Good value too.

DOUBLE EDIT. FYI I have bought recently the Brooks leather handle bar grips, but that’s because I’m a ponce and I like saddle and grips to match. Obviously I had to pay the Brooks tax. But, they look soooo nice. They would look smashing on your Brompton.

Top Bottom