Braking without left hand brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dicko

Guru
My very first cycle, a German one as we lived in Germany, only had a right hand caliper front wheel brake as it had the worlds most powerful back pedal break. Riding in England was a laugh, the people who thought it had only one brake 😂

OP
OP
alicat

alicat

Squire
Oh, I think I was familiar with coaster brakes as a child.

Thanks very much @mickle - what you said about cable breakage did worry me, I must admit.

I did order a Problem solvers doodah but didn't fit it. I'm trying to be brave and ride without any adaptation. It does mean that I'm not riding much at all but as time passes and the bend in my finger improves the problem should go away, I hope.

I'll have a go with your solution since it should work with my flat bar shopper bike and my Brompton.

Just to mention, you'll probably need to move your right hand lever inboard a wee bit to allow room to fit the lh lever. It'll be a bit of a fiddle with the brommie

Gillstay

Veteran
Thanks very much @mickle - what you said about cable breakage did worry me, I must admit.

I did order a Problem solvers doodah but didn't fit it. I'm trying to be brave and ride without any adaptation. It does mean that I'm not riding much at all but as time passes and the bend in my finger improves the problem should go away, I hope.

I'll have a go with your solution since it should work with my flat bar shopper bike and my Brompton.

I would think brake cable breakages are amazingly rare and see no reason why you cannot dial in some bias on the brakes so the front comes into action first. It was easy enough to do on a Rudge motorbike.

OP
OP
alicat

alicat

Squire
^^^ I can imagine that such cable breakages are rare and still quite terrifying all the same, especially as I've spent all year recovering from a broken finger...

I would think brake cable breakages are amazingly rare and see no reason why you cannot dial in some bias on the brakes so the front comes into action first. It was easy enough to do on a Rudge motorbike.

Rare they are, to be sure, but I'd never make a technical recommendation that might -however slim the chances - result in total loss of brakes.

What mechanism would you use to allow for the adjustment of bias in a cable operated bicycle brake system?

Gillstay

Veteran
Same as any other wear, simple maintenance.

Top Bottom