Braking without left hand brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Squire
In late Jan, I tripped and broke my left little finger (mallet fracture i.e. the tendon keeping the end joint straight came away taking a large fragment of bone with it).

In May, when the finger still didn't bend very much, I was riding my shopper (drum brake) bike and braked suddenly. I later noticed that the finger was drooping again and was advised to wear the splint again for a fortnight.

The physio has now instructed me not to wear the splint when cycling so that the joint returns to moving naturally. I'm nervous about this and would prefer either to use a coaster brake or not cycle at all until the finger bends properly.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a solution that will enable brakes to be applied to both wheels without using the left hand. I do have a fixed wheel bike but am not great at pedalling backwards...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Use the right brake more - that's the one that stops you, on the front wheel.

The only thing I can think of (and I'm no expert on adapting bikes) is riding fixed with only a front brake fitted.

If the gear is low enough and the cranks are long enough leg braking for the rear should be quite effective, in combination with the front brake.

Hopefully someone will be along with a better suggestion shortly.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst it's admittedly tricky to get just right,
the most braking force is when the back wheel is just about off the ground so all the braking is from the front. Going over the handlebars, whilst possible in theory, is more a story to scare children than a major risk. Not braking hard enough with the front is more of an issue generally, and whilst you will definitely be off if you lock the front wheel, which is only conceivable in the wet, it is actually hard to get enough friction on with wet rims or disks to stop at all, never mind enough to skid.

Anyhow, use the front more, as on the
road at least, the back doesn't do much

Despite my being over 60 and knowing all this I still found it psychologically hard to use the front brake decisively, especially on the motor bike

OP
OP
alicat

alicat

Squire
Thinking I might slacken the left brake off a lot so that it just engages and almost all the braking comes from the front.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Hope do a dual brake lever, rather than just a dual cable pull. It's not cheap but I've seen it in action and is impressive - https://www.tartybikes.co.uk//disc_...c556p13802.html?cookie_all=1&cookie_refresh=1

OP
OP
alicat

alicat

Squire
Can you use the other fingers on the hand?
Unfortunately not in practice - the middle and smaller fingers tend to act in union so even though the smallest finger did not touch the brake it still got damaged. I could try using the index finger only but I'm still quite nervous. I've been going to the hospital every fortnight since mid Feb and I really really don't want any more setbacks....

si_c

Guru
Most of the braking comes from the front - you needn't worry about making yourself go over the handlebars unless your weight is forward of the front axle, if you need to brake hard just move your weight backwards as you do so and you'll have no problems.

Let your left hand heal properly and avoid using it if possible, better than having a droopy finger again!

iandg

Legendary Member
Just done LEJOG with my one (functioning) armed brother-in-law. Don't know what the make of the system he uses is but his left hand brake lever controls both front and rear brake (with more weighting to the rear) and he has front and rear gear shifters (one above the bar and one below) on the same side of the handlebar - send me a message and I can put you in touch if that helps?

20240715_124659 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom