Brake hose clamp help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
I bought a used trek fx 7.3

It was missing a break hose clamp but I don’t know what type I need to replace it. It is of a style I have not seen before. On the bike the is a round channel

Can anyone help me with this please

Attachments

• IMG_0506.jpeg
    IMG_0506.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0507.jpeg
    IMG_0507.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 53
That's block welded to the frame is not a clamp, but a termination point.

It was invented by Satan.

I assume you're tring to fit the cable on the right (with the tape) into the block. I can't see through tape but it looks to me as if you have a continuous cable without a break in the housing. The block is designed for terminating the housing, then run an exposed length, then entering another block upstream where the housing continues again.

You have two choices. Cut the housing, fit a ferrule at each end (just like the other cables in there already) and fit it like that.

Alternatively, file out the channel so that the housing can slide through it and create one continuous cable. This lasts a long time as opposed to the exposed housing that quickly deteriorates and causes sluggish cable movements. The downside of the latter process is that you don't have a rat-tail file, will probably scratch the frame if you don't mask it off carefully and, that the cable may rattle against the frame. The latter is easy to fix. Imagination.

DO NOT attempt to drill out the channel. Your chuck will eat the frame.

On second throughts, you may be lucky and the brake section of that termination point is already cable housing-ready. See if there isn't a slot through the bottom of the block to take a cable tie.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's not a termination point - it's much larger than the other two and is really just to guide the cable for the rear brake. Normally you'd have a hole in it to attach with a zip tie. If you want the cable to stay in the guide you may want to zip tie it to one of the gear cables before it goes through the guide. I think that's the best you can do.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
That's block welded to the frame is not a clamp, but a termination point.

It was invented by Satan.

I assume you're tring to fit the cable on the right (with the tape) into the block. I can't see through tape but it looks to me as if you have a continuous cable without a break in the housing. The block is designed for terminating the housing, then run an exposed length, then entering another block upstream where the housing continues again.

You have two choices. Cut the housing, fit a ferrule at each end (just like the other cables in there already) and fit it like that.

Alternatively, file out the channel so that the housing can slide through it and create one continuous cable. This lasts a long time as opposed to the exposed housing that quickly deteriorates and causes sluggish cable movements. The downside of the latter process is that you don't have a rat-tail file, will probably scratch the frame if you don't mask it off carefully and, that the cable may rattle against the frame. The latter is easy to fix. Imagination.

DO NOT attempt to drill out the channel. Your chuck will eat the frame.

On second throughts, you may be lucky and the brake section of that termination point is already cable housing-ready. See if there isn't a slot through the bottom of the block to take a cable tie.

Yes I want the right cable with the tape to fit in the empty slot.

The cable with the tape is a hydraulic tube so can’t be cut.

The slot on the block is straight through and has no edges to capture a ferrule. If it did there are adapters you can buy .

The slot is wider than the standard ferrule holders.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
That's not a termination point - it's much larger than the other two and is really just to guide the cable for the rear brake. Normally you'd have a hole in it to attach with a zip tie. If you want the cable to stay in the guide you may want to zip tie it to one of the gear cables before it goes through the guide. I think that's the best you can do.

Yes this is correct it is just a wide slot

The slot is too wide to hold a cable and that’s why I thought there may be something missing.

I put tape on the cable to widen it hoping it would stay in place but it doesn’t

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'd expect a C Clip to work, but there doesn't seem to be a slot.

Top Bottom