Bottom bracket service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I only managed to remove the fixed cup but the other one on the first picture I posted the other day is absolutely stuck. Do you think I'll be able to fit new bearings even without removing it?
It's possible. I assume by "fixed cup" you mean the right side one.
And you've pulled out the spindle, right?
You should be able to hook out the caged bearings the other side.
You need to get it properly clean, shove generous grease in and new caged bearings (could do loose but tricky given only one side access).
The left side one will be a lock nut (the hexagonal nut) and then the cup itself.
@Big John he speak sense v v v : get both cups off, measure the spindle length and get a UN-300 BB or similar (clean threads before installation obv, new BB will have threadlocker as supplied so no grease). You'll need a 20 spline tool but think BB and tool <£30.
I'd persevere in trying to remove both cups and replace with a sealed bottom bracket if it was me. You'll need another tool but they're not overly expensive. There'll be no adjusting to do. Fit and forget.
Suggest edit name of thread to 'Bottom Bracket service?"

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If it was me I'd just clean, replace balls, regrease generously and reassemble. But that's the lazy mechanically inept approach. It's good enough.

Replacing with a sealed unit as others advise is probably a better long term fix but a bit more hassle - getting the fixed cup out can be a real struggle and making sure you secure the correct replacement a bit baffling.

Gunk

Guru
If it was me I'd just clean, replace balls, regrease generously and reassemble. But that's the lazy mechanically inept approach. It's good enough.

Replacing with a sealed unit as others advise is probably a better long term fix but a bit more hassle - getting the fixed cup out can be a real struggle and making sure you secure the correct replacement a bit baffling.

I’d do exactly this

OP
OP
C

claudi9085

Hi all, thank you so much for all the help! In the end I didn't manage to remove the right side cup, I tried to ask to my local bike shop but gave up because they gave me an appointment in 5 days 🫣 but I've been really careful trying to clean everything up before putting all back together. After applying an awful amount of grease I've put everything together and it seems like it works great! Should this happen again I will definitely buy proper tools and replace it with a better bottom bracket tho.
Thanks again 🙌

Ajax Bay

Guru
Pleased with that. Cup & cone bearings are fine. It's just that a 'cartridge' bearing (eg UN-300 or Stronglight et al) is easier (and the tool/BB interface to install and remove has much more 'assurance')
Suggest edit name of thread to 'Bottom Bracket service?".

Last edited:
Top Bottom