Blown off my bike true story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Around twenty years ago I recall reading about a motor cycle rider who was blow into the side of an articulated lorry on the Tinsley viaduct. The motorcyclists slid underneath the trailer and was missed by the wheels. The motorcycle was trashed. In the same weather I was riding a CBX550F Honda and was riding very cautiously near Leeds University. I pulled out into Woodhouse lane and was hit head on by a blast of wind so strong that it stalled the engine - I was gob smacked. The remaining journey home was ridden very gingerly.

Renard

I saw a number of people blown off their bikes on the ascent up the Bealach na ba sportive last year. At one point all I could see was people off and pushing as far as I could see up and down the road.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'd gone up to JoG and it had been tough in Scotland - the cables on the sides of bridges were whining like banshees - but, having taken the ferry over to Burwick on Orkney I did seriously consider just getting off and putting the bike in the back of a truck. Except that the truck had come to a stop.

There's a couple of causeways on the A961. Waves were crashing against the left hand side and flying over my head. I must have been making about 6mph. On a Colnago. The shame of it!

a961orkney.png

Brains

Legendary Member
Five bikes on tour in northern France near Calais a few winters ago, even with us all slipstreaming the rotating lead rider we found that is was just as fast and a whole lot less effort to push the bikes than ride them.
Eventually we were forced to take the train to Dunkirk and then ride down to Calais with the wind behind us.
Topping 30mph on a fully loaded tourer on the flat !

Top Bottom