Binoculars...probably one for a birding forum but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I have a pair of Nikon Monarch M5 waterproof 8x42; decent glasses for the money.

After my classic humming and haaing in the name of research I ended up with Monarch 7, 8x30 (previous generation) Really excellent glasses for general purpose use, mainly on hols for general nosiness and wildlife bothering. Won't ever upgrade, they're usually in the glovebox.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
After my classic humming and haaing in the name of research I ended up with Monarch 7, 8x30 (previous generation) Really excellent glasses for general purpose use, mainly on hols for general nosiness and wildlife bothering. Won't ever upgrade, they're usually in the glovebox.

Those do come up, there's some criticism of the M5 having a narrow FOV compared to others.
The M7 in 8x42 are probably a bit too expensive

If I'm buying something I don't know as much about to feel confident to decide for myself I read several reviews. If there are certain products that consistently come out highly regarded across several reviews then I choose out of those.

Kind of let professional reviewers to collectively reduce your options then choose on simple criteria such as price, looks or other. The technical and performance criteria has already been sorted in the review filter.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Those do come up, there's some criticism of the M5 having a narrow FOV compared to others.
The M7 in 8x42 are probably a bit too expensive

The M7 8x30 last gen is where I ended up after just this kind of internal dialogue - wide FOV, smaller, lighter, and because the optics are so good that the 42mm lens isn't needed (which adds bulk, weight, and big extra cost. I've had cheaper bins in the past, like the little Opticron (sp?) roof prisms, but these are so much better, even for the occasional user.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
If I'm buying something I don't know as much about to feel confident to decide for myself I read several reviews. If there are certain products that consistently come out highly regarded across several reviews then I choose out of those.

Kind of let professional reviewers to collectively reduce your options then choose on simple criteria such as price, looks or other. The technical and performance criteria has already been sorted in the review filter.

Yes I’ve done that, and there’s a list of about half a dozen, more if budget expands as I am wont to do :rolleyes: or if I bring used into the equation.
Other than colour/weight, aesthetic doesn’t really come into it I think

Dave7

Legendary Member
Maybe I will for St Lucia but the CR trip is going to cost thousands so I’d like appropriate kit for the sake of a few hundred.
I have done some birding in the U.K. already.
I’ll look at Opticron, as with all of these things, there’s inconsistency between reviews. One man’s meat and all that!
These sort of sneak into budget
https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/New/Opticron-Verano-BGA-VHD-8x42_88811.html

They could do the job.
As you say, you really need to try them somewhere.
Much of the money is into the glass. The better makes take an enormous amount of time polishing and shaping the lenses in order to gather the available light.

TBH if your bird watching is going to be in pleasant sunny conditions then it's not so Important.
I am sure those Opticrons will give you much pleasure.
NB
I did a lot of bird watching so have had my moneys worth many times over.
A friend of mine spends much of his life bird watching and his bins cost well over a grand years ago.

Nikon and Celestron seem to be highly rated in midrange. < but Voice of Experience speaks to durability>
8x is sensible for hand held. 10x magnifies wobble.
If forest is low light then 42 is better than 30 in same grade. Higher grade optics buy you more contrast and better light transmission but £300 is not premium optics level.

Last edited:

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Maybe I will for St Lucia but the CR trip is going to cost thousands so I’d like appropriate kit for the sake of a few hundred.
I have done some birding in the U.K. already.
I’ll look at Opticron, as with all of these things, there’s inconsistency between reviews. One man’s meat and all that!
These sort of sneak into budget
https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/New/Opticron-Verano-BGA-VHD-8x42_88811.html
Definitely worth a trip to LCE, to hopefully try a few pairs. I can't comment on the ones in the link, my last pair were around £700 and I think looking at the website now nearer to £800, so definitely a try before you buy option is essential.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I have 8 x 42 from RSPB labelled visitron Viking. They are great alrounders for my level of birds. However, Mrs G tends to use these when we go out and I use some compact 8 x 25 rspb avocets. The image quality is not quite as good but they are really light so don’t pull on your neck and ideal for my saddlebag when on the bike. The main advantage of the bigger diameter lenses are of course low light conditions and when scanning. Have you got the Merlin app with Costa Rica loaded?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Do not get Celeston whatever you do. I had a pair and they fell to bits straight away. £200 down the drain.
Get Hawke Endurance or Vortex Diamondback.
I've got all mine from the Birders Store online, they are brilliant.https://www.birders-store.co.uk/. Nice kind people to deal with as well.
Hawke and Vortex also offer a lifetime warranty even if you damage them.
Opticron Traveller binoculars also get good reviews.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I have 8 x 42 from RSPB labelled visitron Viking. They are great alrounders for my level of birds. However, Mrs G tends to use these when we go out and I use some compact 8 x 25 rspb avocets. The image quality is not quite as good but they are really light so don’t pull on your neck and ideal for my saddlebag when on the bike. The main advantage of the bigger diameter lenses are of course low light conditions and when scanning. Have you got the Merlin app with Costa Rica loaded?

I will do

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Definitely worth a trip to LCE, to hopefully try a few pairs. I can't comment on the ones in the link, my last pair were around £700 and I think looking at the website now nearer to £800, so definitely a try before you buy option is essential.

Unfortunately, I am not sure when I'll get there...I am in Guildford probably on Sunday...but of course they're closed!

Top Bottom