Bikes, Buses and Bavaria - we're off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Flixbus gets a massive thumbs up from me. Clean, punctual and bike transport without a fuss.
After pizza at Frankfurt station then on to an ICE to Hanau - slightly delayed - and a mad dash across the station subway with a fully loaded bike on my shoulder, we just caught our regional train connection to Aschaffenburg.
I am a very sweaty Betty and in need of a shower and a beer (or several!)

Chislenko

Veteran
Looks a proper adventure, enjoy.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
any updates?

Back now.
It was a great holiday. We started off by cycling to Hull to get the ferry. East of York is surprisingly well supplied with cycle paths and well signposted quiet roads.
After a lunch stop in Delft, we spent a couple of nights in Gouda (because we love it there) and then cycled to Utrecht to get the bus to Frankfurt. A couple of trains later we were in Aschaffenburg to stay with a friend.
We got the train with our friend to Miltenberg and then rode via Wertheim to Bad Mergendheim.
The on to Rothenburg ob der Tauber (basically Disneyland!) where we stayed in a youth hostel (overpriced and very basic!) Then a very technical ride to Nördlingen - gravel paths and forests - I swear I heard something growl at one point!
Nördlingen was absolutely gorgeous - we spent 2 nights there - and then on to Augsburg.
Our original plan was to cycle to Füssen but we couldn't make the transport work so we had 2 nights in Augsburg and a daytrip to Füssen (without bikes) to go to Neuschwanstein Castle - Disneyland again!
I'd like to spend more time in that area right by the Austrian border.
A Flixbus from Augsburg to Cologne, 2 nights and another Flixbus to Ghent (another of our favourite places) for a couple of nights. Blimey, it was hot!
Went round the cathedral where they a had a vr headset assisted tour of the crypt giving the history of the van Eyck altar piece. Well worth doing.
A ride to Antwerp, couple of trains to Rotterdam and the ferry back home.
A great holiday!

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Advantages of bike-on-a-bus :-
Air-conditioned.
WiFi and charging points
Clean with a toilet
No/fewer changes than the train so not dragging bike on and off and worrying about missing connections
Fewer leg bruises as you are not wrangling your bike yourself onto different styles of bike transport.
Cheaper than trains
Disadvantages :-
Less space - difficult to get up and walk around
Takes longer
Timing more variable due to unpredictable traffic
Boring view compared to trains
Bus stops tend to be in areas that feel a bit dodgy compared to train stations
I like trains!

blackrat

In my experience, in the UK trains take bikes, most buses do not - except commuter buses with racks on the front.
I like to see photos of travels - a picture is worth a thousand words - but I seldom read travelogues. I used to send out written descriptions of my trips but it became clear people either were not interested or were too busy with their own issues, so I stopped.
But your pics are very welcome, please continue to entertain us with them.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
On the bus, did you have a bike bag or was it into the luggage hold bare?
The bikes go on a rack at the back. I took the frame bag and handle bar bag inside the bus with me and the rear luggage bag went in the hold.
Al uses panniers. One in the hold and one in the bus as "hand luggage"
Flixbus drivers are a miserable bunch though and obviously hate handling bikes. Though they also seem to hate passengers, driving, traffic, other people etc so i didn't take it personally!!
20240812_093920.jpg

20240802_103926.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Top Bottom