Bikes, Buses and Bavaria - we're off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Setting off today.
Ride to Hull, ferry to Rotterdam, stop in Gouda for a few days (because it's soooo pretty there) and then we are loading our bikes on a Flixbus in Utrecht and going to Frankfurt before cycling down through Bavaria (the Romantic Road)
Planning this trip has been a bit of a headache. We originally bought interrail tickets and planned to do the long distances by train which seemed perfectly possible.
Turns out that all the Germans moaning about Deutschebahn have a point - train after train has been cancelled or has proved impossible to book spaces for bikes so we now have all our long distances booked on Flixbuses! I didn't even realise you could take bikes on long distance buses!
Anyone here done this?
I'll report back what it's like!

Enjoy your trip. Hot and sunny in Utrecht today!

Not used Flixbus, but OAD used to carry bikes on a trailer. Flixbus hangs bikes off a rack on the back of the bus, I think. We often see them going up and down the motorways. My source tells me there are 3 main north-south railway lines in Germany. All 3 are currently undergoing maintenance work. My source got as far as Cologne from Turin and was given a voucher for 500 euros and advised to get a taxi home. Deutsche Bahn is losing money hand over fist and wants to sack 30,000 workers. Doesn't sound as though things will get better in the near term.

If you're in Wurzburg, the Sternbaeck restaurant on Sternplatz serves the most fantastic strawberry cheesecake you will ever taste. We'll be dong part of the Romantische Strasse again in September, on our way to Budapest.

Gute Reise!

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Despite appearances, I'm not actually stopping off for a breakfast gin first

20240730_093555.jpg

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
Gin, the cornerstone of a nutritious breakfast...
Enjoy!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Enjoy your trip. Hot and sunny in Utrecht today!

Not used Flixbus, but OAD used to carry bikes on a trailer. Flixbus hangs bikes off a rack on the back of the bus, I think. We often see them going up and down the motorways. My source tells me there are 3 main north-south railway lines in Germany. All 3 are currently undergoing maintenance work. My source got as far as Cologne from Turin and was given a voucher for 500 euros and advised to get a taxi home. Deutsche Bahn is losing money hand over fist and wants to sack 30,000 workers. Doesn't sound as though things will get better in the near term.

If you're in Wurzburg, the Sternbaeck restaurant on Sternplatz serves the most fantastic strawberry cheesecake you will ever taste. We'll be dong part of the Romantische Strasse again in September, on our way to Budapest.

Gute Reise!

Very hot in Assen today too. Was promised that it always rains here. Disappointed.

blackrat

Setting off today.
Ride to Hull, ferry to Rotterdam, stop in Gouda for a few days (because it's soooo pretty there) and then we are loading our bikes on a Flixbus in Utrecht and going to Frankfurt before cycling down through Bavaria (the Romantic Road)
Planning this trip has been a bit of a headache. We originally bought interrail tickets and planned to do the long distances by train which seemed perfectly possible.
Turns out that all the Germans moaning about Deutschebahn have a point - train after train has been cancelled or has proved impossible to book spaces for bikes so we now have all our long distances booked on Flixbuses! I didn't even realise you could take bikes on long distance buses!
Anyone here done this?
I'll report back what it's like!

"I didn't even realise you could take bikes on long distance buses!"

Sadly, not National Express in the UK. Pity, because dealing with GWR to Penzance trying to 'amend' a ticket is becoming a major headache.

Top Bottom