Bike locks for touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[...] reading these files on this and other UK cycle sites, I am concerned. Yes, I am riding LeJog in a few weeks. Looking forward to it. I grew up in Norwich and have previously traveled over much of Britain, but this will be the first cycle tour there.
We're currently entering peak bike theft season around Norwich and many other university cities, as the students arrive or return and look to buy cheap bikes, but you should remember that people on cycle sites tend to have nicer bikes than the casual riders who still leave their unlocked rusty/ratty bikes against the shop wall, so are a bit more motivated not to let the thieves get them!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Bolt cutters? A decent pair of butcher's scissors would cut that, although slowly. Still probably OK in most villages to deter casual theft.

Well as I said in my other post, in over 40 years no bike has ever been stolen on its watch. ;)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Rated only 6/10 on an unspecified scale by a notoriously unreliable car parts chain store. No weight stated. I wouldn't. If you must play the "half odds" game, then their "23cm D Lock - Key" at £30 looks the cheapest which might be decent, but still no weight stated. Even then, I'd tape over the branding in case they're known to be easy to break. You can probably get a better value decent lock in a bike shop, even a chain one.

Top Bottom