Bike envy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
So I’ve been riding for about 10 years. I’m currently riding a 2018 TCR advanced rim brake, and have a Cannondale CAAD 12 as a spare. Both 105 mechanical, and rim brake, both on 50mm deep section carbon wheels. Recent joined a local cycling club and everyone there has modern 5k+ road bikes. I’m the only one running rim brake and 105 mechanical. So how do you deal with coming up against this issue. I’ve no idea where anyone gets the funds to purchase kit like this. I’ve looked into buying a new bike but what I can get for the money seems ridiculous. Don’t get me wrong I ride the fast group and I keep up (not on the descents in the wet) but I feel a bit poverty shamed. How does anyone else deal with this?

Drago

Legendary Member
I deal with it by not caring.

OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Are the others looking down on you?

If not, then don't worry about it. You are keeping up with them.

Of course if you *want( a new bike, and can afford it, then go for it. But as long as you are staying with the group, there is nothing to be ashamed of in your current bike.

They don’t look down but they have some banter. There are more Pinerello Dogmas in my club then TCRs 🤯

If you feel 'poverty shamed' it's a reflection on them, rather than you.

They've probably owned bikes like those you currently own, but they've probably upgraded every year or two - wastefully.
I'm a bit like you on the club run. I think I actually got snubbed by one rider. I was first to arrive one morning. Second was a chap who turned up on a beautiful limited edition Colnago C68 that had oversized jockey wheels, what I suspect were CarbonTi rotors. I've no doubt it was getting on for £20,000 worth of bike and components, at RRP anyway.

I'd turned up on my roadified Gravel bike, with pannier rack and trunk bag. As not many others showed up that week, in order for us to split the group and I think he assumed it was going to be a slow ride. He quietly disappeared before the ride kicked off.

The rest of the group seem friendly enough and complementary about my ability to keep up / beat them on each of the climbs.
I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Drago

Legendary Member
I once marshal'd at a sportive and one feller, who must've been 60 if he was a day, on a full-squidge MTB with slick tyres and he finished in the top third. I'm sure he didn't waste any time worrying what others were riding.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I'll never forget stopping at Route 1, a cafe on Route 1 amazingly, me in my baggy multi coloured trousers and a cut off t shirt and well worn jungle hat to be confronted by about 10 top dollar road bikes around 20k's worth. There were an equal number of gents kitted out in matching lycra and wrap around shades. Impressive sitting down and then ruined by the majority standing up to reveal it was they who appeared to have eaten all the pies.

vickster

Legendary Member
Find another club? Easy for me to say, since clubs of any description are not my thing.

This - if racing/fast riding is your thing, it's likely you'll be with riders on very expensive bikes - sounds like it's more your perception than theirs though, using terms like poverty shamed and envy?
If that bothered, find a CTC group, pootle along with a motley selection of bikes and enjoy the cake/beer

Top Bottom