Bike buying opinions - 11 yo moving into adult bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just been on a 2 hour wild goose chase to check out a secondhand bike shop in Morecambe that has a good rep forused bikes. Turns out it has shut and is empty. Rather than not waste the trip we went into halfords thinking we would at least size him up. No matter what the shop rep is the sizing up will at least help for buying ew elsewhere or secondhand.

So we tried the largest kids MTB, too small. Smallest adult MTB, hes standing flat footed over the seat which is as low as it can go with a fair bit of clearance. Medium adult MTB he's standing on toes when sat on seat, but the seat is slightly high. Apparently that Carrera bike has bottle cage bolt holes which stop the seatpost being lowered fully. If you cut off the post it could be lower. IMHO it was at a bit too much of a stretch but he's due a growth spurt so probably the right size. The Hlafords guy got out a large adults MTB bike in another carrera model. He got on it with the seatpost fully down. It was the same seat height as the other medium. The shop guy said that would be his recommendation. He said that with the medium he'd only have up to 2 years use but the large he could be using it for ever or at least up to 6'2"

Now I know that my first half decent bike was bought for me at 9yo, my first drop barred sports bike (now called road bike but back then it was a sports bike in the bike shops). It was a little too big and first ride on it I was nervous so rode on the pavement and due to it being a 2 foot wide with a low wall I fell over and scratched it on the low wall on the forks. Devastated! It feels to me like this Halfords bike guy was recommending that level of oversize for my son. Incidentally that bike at 9yo lasted me until I bought my own bike at 16yo which I can ride even now.

So my question is what size would you think he's currently about 5'3" or a bit more tall and likely to be another inch or so by the end of summer! The bikes we tried were 16", 18" and 20". He really could ride any of them but I am figuring too big and he might get put off or not able to ride everything. I mean you need clearance for falling off an MTB surely?

The other point would you consider a £375 reduced from £475 carrera? He loved the big one especially. It is all image, colour, coolness with him I think. BTW I know the road riding hybrid might be better argument but the thing is kids round here do have a lot of offroad places to play in. There is a bit of an MTB scene going on and you will see kids in some woods nearby doing daft downhill type of things getting big air, with crashing too. I think MTB where we live is possibly better for him. Plus he wants to go more to Whinlatter and Grizedale. There is also Gisburn forest bike trails within travelling distance too. I also looked at an XL carrera for me as an occasionaly MTB bike.

Our budget was intially £200 for a used bike from this S/H bike shop we heard so much about. Now it is looking like about £400 for a new bike. I did see a £440 trek in Wheelbase. Any suggestions?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If I'm understanding you correctly I think you may be sizing the bikes wrongly. He shouldn't be able to put his feet flat on the ground when seated.
When seated his leg should more or less straight with the pedal at six o clock. Although some MTBrs prefer a lower saddle height. Halfords can be very hit and miss when it comes to staff knowledge about such things such as sizing and it sounds like this may have happened here. You slide off the saddle when coming to a stop and straddle the top tube.
I'm no real expert on MTB sizing but at 5'3 he should be able to use a 16 or 18.
The Carrera is a favourite budget mountain bike from Halfords, they are well thought of on here. Also check out Decathlon for their Rock Rider range, they give a better warranty than Halfords and the staff are usually more 'clued up'.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/sports/mountain-biking/mountain-bikes
Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
If I'm understanding you correctly I think you may be sizing the bikes wrongly. He shouldn't be able to put his feet flat on the ground when seated.
When seated his leg should more or less straight with the pedal at six o clock. Although some MTBrs prefer a lower saddle height. Halfords can be very hit and miss when it comes to staff knowledge about such things such as sizing and it sounds like this may have happened here. You slide off the saddle when coming to a stop and straddle the top tube.
I'm no real expert on MTB sizing but at 5'3 he should be able to use a 16 or 18.
The Carrera is a favourite budget mountain bike from Halfords, they are well thought of on here. Also check out Decathlon for their Rock Rider range, they give a better warranty than Halfords and the staff are usually more 'clued up'.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/sports/mountain-biking/mountain-bikes
Good luck.

Sorry, no I was explaining the sizing of bikes. Starting with the flat footed and too small kids bike. Then the medium with the toes just touching the ground, albeit a medium with the seat up a bit because of a design flaw that doesn't allow it to be fully dropped without cutting thee post down to avoid bottle cage bolt holes. If we got that with thee seat down fully he would have toes down with knees sllightly bent which I think is about right. That would allow a bit of growth. The next size up was the same seat height as the medium down as far as it could go bolt holes permitting. II think the 16" was too small. The 18" was too big unless you cut the seat post. TBH I have not issue with sizing the bikes it is just that the Halfords guy seemed to be really pushing the 20" large!!!!. To my view the medium or 18" was about right. I think that is about 5.3" or 5.6" to about 5'11" or ppossibly 6' if I recal some sizzing charts i have seen a while back. TBH i prefer the try it before buy it type of sizing.

Ive read of a few sizing methods. pedal down and heel on it was one I got told at a LBS years ago. Toes down when sat on seat with legs straight. Theres been others too. My view is that you need to it the bike in any of those methods but for MTB I think you need to ensure frame clearance. So perhaps without the seat fully down as that seemed to mean not much drop off the saddle if you follow what I mean.

It does make me wonder why the Halfords salesman was pushing a 20" bike when it looked too big to me.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Well today was a bust! Went to visit a seconhand bike shop near where we used to live, about 30 minutes away. Got there, paid for 2 hours parking to give us time to check their often quite large stock in their large shop. Got out of the van, dry, walked for 1 minute and the heavens opened. got to the shop and it was shut, dark inside and completely empty!!!

So we found a dry spot and checked google again, I had checked before leaving and thought it was strange that bike shop was now shown at a private house. All other bike shops were shut too.

My son was disappointed so we drove to Lancaster Halfords and yes, he liked a few bikes but better value from secondhand so we went home.

Now I'm thinkiing of the only other secondhand bike shop is Dave Ferguson Bikes in Skipton, about hour away by car. Is it still open? Do they have anything? So i emailed them. hope they are and they have something for us.

Anyone know of other secondhand bike shops within about an hour of Kendal area? or further if really worth the visit!

vickster

Legendary Member
Nothing available on eBay? Gumtree? Facebook marketplace? Even somewhere like cash converters? Or a local trail centre selling off used models?
As well as Decathlon, Go outdoors can have decent deals. By the time you’ve spent time and fuel on wild goosechases you could just buy new. Halfords have discounts at the mo apparently

Reactions: C R

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
The growth spurts can be quite significant at points, mini-cw very quickly became taller than me.
We got a Wiggins for (then) mini-cw and within 18 months was to small (wished I'd sized up)
I would imagine theres a good second hand market where you live, local magazine / noticeboards / eBay and Google market place etc.
If he wants something like a Carrera he'll use it more if he's happy with it / fits with peer group than something we might think might be 'better' for him.
So ring places before you set off and he really will 'grow into it' we did...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'd try local cycling clubs for children; they've always got 'spare' bikes - usually it's the parents on Facebook in their club page. Also, in Yorkshire there's a Yorkshire Cycling Sales Facebook group - is there anything similar in Lancashire?

eBay can be a bit hit and miss. Good bikes come up but there's also a pile a of rubbish on there.

Size-wise I'd always size up a bit as they're going to grow. But not too far up; your description has the medium as OK.

I would also get him the medium, if he was an adult of that height I'd get the small.
You'll be able to get a second-hand medium Carrera MTB where you are off Gumtree/Marketplace surely?

Top Bottom