Bicycle Theft Undercover Investigation

Have you ever had a bicycle stolen?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Squire
Can I vote 'No, but please don't let that jinx me'?

a.twiddler

Veteran
Never had one pinched, touch wood. Mind you, never contemplated spending £1000 on a bike, either.

Son had a Motor World dual suspension gas pipe special nicked when he was a nipper -turned his back to pop into the house for about 30 seconds and when he went back outside there it was, gone. His friend's bike was still outside where he'd left it. We were all shocked by how quickly it had happened. Despite keeping an eye out for it in the following days and weeks we never saw it again.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I watched a Channel 4 show about crime in the UK. The first 20 minutes were about organised bicycle crime theft in the UK (specifically Cambridge). I thought some folk might find it interesting. Check it out below.

No action taken against them but then our jails are packed to capacity. :cursing:

Coincidentally, my Brompton was nicked in Bow, East London and turned up in Cambridge on eBay - it's the UK's best cycling city, right?

It was quite a distinctive old (vintage :whistle:) 5-speed one that I'd had powder-coated and had some distinctive features so was easy to identify. I reported it to the Met at the time it was nicked and showed them the eBay listing when it popped up a couple of months later. They went and recovered it along with a lot of other stolen bikes that were being fenced in Cambridge by the aunt of the scrote who nicked 'em in London. I was reunited with it at Victoria Police Station so it had had quite the round trip.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I watched a Channel 4 show about crime in the UK. The first 20 minutes were about organised bicycle crime theft in the UK (specifically Cambridge). I thought some folk might find it interesting. Check it out below.

Yes I watched it. Was suprised that they did not call the police once they had recovered their bike. He had plenty of other bikes listed.

Top Bottom