Beginner cyclist, good average speed to aim for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello everyone I have recently got a new road bike and i joined a cycling club. So far I am able to do about 16 mph, 26kmh as my average pace. Its not very fast though, what would be a good goal to aim for in average speeds etc?

I am hoping to try and work my way up to the faster group in our cycling club. They do about 30kmh.

Any tips?
Stop worrying about speed and take in the views my good friend!

froze

Über Member
I don't have time to read all the posts so maybe someone already mentioned this, but I would google "interval training for cyclists", that's the only way you will improve your average speed the quickest is by doing intervals.

S-Express

I don't have time to read all the posts so maybe someone already mentioned this, but I would google "interval training for cyclists", that's the only way you will improve your average speed the quickest is by doing intervals.
Perhaps if you had read the other posts you would see that the guy is a beginner. All he needs to do right now is ride.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm a 10mph average kind of guy. Means I can cover 50-70 miles a day when touring with a few cake and beer stops on the way.
Wandering off topic a bit ...

This brings us to the interesting question of what you mean by average. A touring or audax style average, which includes breaks and stops and is a realistic measure for planning, or a Strava style moving average which is a software boosted number designed to flatter the the rider's ego.

Earlier this year I had an interesting 80km ride consisting of a series of flat out dashes, and head down efforts (often in the wrong direction) punctuated by phone call and navigation stops (I was trying to catch up with someone). Amusingly my Garmin awarded me a moving average of 26.5km/h, which is bizarrely high. How effective was I at actually catching up? Not very, my real overall progress was a less impressive 16.5 km/h. I did catch up, eventually, at the lunch stop. But a bit more effective use of brain, and better planning, would have seen me catch up much more quickly and efficiently, at a lower "moving" average speed.

Although real averages aren't confined to audaxers and tourists. I was advised by a gnarly club rider who I respect a lot, someone capable of remarkable feats of high speed endurance that his approach to building overall speed was to forget garmins and such like and work on your time over a set course of varied terrain. His reasoning was that compensating for delays due to other road users, rest stops and so forth were a natural part of the exercise.

But back to the OP. As @S-Express says, just ride your bike.

dim

Wandering off topic a bit ...

This brings us to the interesting question of what you mean by average. A touring or audax style average, which includes breaks and stops and is a realistic measure for planning, or a Strava style moving average which is a software boosted number designed to flatter the the rider's ego.

Earlier this year I had an interesting 80km ride consisting of a series of flat out dashes, and head down efforts (often in the wrong direction) punctuated by phone call and navigation stops (I was trying to catch up with someone). Amusingly my Garmin awarded me a moving average of 26.5km/h, which is bizarrely high. How effective was I at actually catching up? Not very, my real overall progress was a less impressive 16.5 km/h. I did catch up, eventually, at the lunch stop. But a bit more effective use of brain, and better planning, would have seen me catch up much more quickly and efficiently, at a lower "moving" average speed.

Although real averages aren't confined to audaxers and tourists. I was advised by a gnarly club rider who I respect a lot, someone capable of remarkable feats of high speed endurance that his approach to building overall speed was to forget garmins and such like and work on your time over a set course of varied terrain. His reasoning was that compensating for delays due to other road users, rest stops and so forth were a natural part of the exercise.

But back to the OP. As @S-Express says, just ride your bike.

depends how you set your Garmin ..... if you set it to only record when you cycle 5km/hr or faster, it gives you a higher average speed as when you stop at traffic lights or stop for a break, the average speed is not reduced/affected, as the unit pauses

If you do an Audax ride, you need to have the recording speed set to 0 as there is a minimum time/speed limit (most are 15km/hr), and when you stop, the average speed reduces constantly (and drastically)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
depends how you set your Garmin ..... if you set it to only record when you cycle 5km/hr or faster, it gives you a higher average speed as when you stop at traffic lights or stop for a break, the average speed is not reduced/affected, as the unit pauses

If you do an Audax ride, you need to have the recording speed set to 0 as there is a minimum time/speed limit (most are 15km/hr), and when you stop, the average speed reduces constantly (and drastically)
My GPS doesn't have that option, but it does give an overall average speed (called trip average or something). Which, given the kind of riding I do, is what I check to see if I'm on schedule. Moving average is something that I look at and roll my eyes when I upload my rides afterwards.

S-Express

If you want free speed, just start tracking your rides using Strava's mobile app.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
You are doing really well already ,as you do more miles your endurance will build up and you will be able to keep up the fast pace for longer.

When your ready to try out with the fast group have a talk with the ride leader first as they may not be happy leaving a 15 year old if you get dropped.

Good Luck

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
They may be able to arrange another rider willing to stay with him if necessary .Point I was making is discuss it first not on the side of the road.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Point I was making is discuss it first not on the side of the road.

@Novantix I entirely agree with this. If the group you're riding with at the moment aren't pushing you hard enough then you won't improve (although you will still gain useful experience of group riding). But if you step up to the fast group, you do risk getting dropped...

I've ridden with fast groups who won't wait for anyone because it's their race training, which is entirely reasonable. For an older rider, this is fine because you're responsible for yourself, but it would definitely be a problem to drop a 15yo. But as @Banjo says, if you discuss it with them in advance, they will probably be happy to nominate one or two riders as guardians to look after you - after all, it's in the interests of the club to help develop young riders with potential.

Isn't it usually only the the fastest group that doesn't have a no-drop policy? If you are stepping up to a faster group, but not the fastest, won't they generally wait?

(I've only ever done one club ride - beginners group, obviously - so apologies if I am very wrong)

Top Bottom