Beginner cyclist, good average speed to aim for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello everyone I have recently got a new road bike and i joined a cycling club. So far I am able to do about 16 mph, 26kmh as my average pace. Its not very fast though, what would be a good goal to aim for in average speeds etc?

I am hoping to try and work my way up to the faster group in our cycling club. They do about 30kmh.

Any tips?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think 12mph alone over an hour or two is a good target because it means you can do 10mph all-day comfortably in a freewheeling, sight-seeing, touring group... but that's probably not you wanted! :laugh:

Seriously, if you want to go fast, then I suspect 28km/h alone will mean you'll be able to do 30km/h in a group if it's one that rides close formation because the aerodynamics will help you and give you another few km/h. I suspect your bigger challenges will be making sure you can keep it up for the distance over the terrain they ride and especially learning the group riding and bike handling skills needed to avoid crashing messily in such a group at that speed. Does the club offer a skills practice ride or recommend one?

And when you get to the point where you can go no faster, remember it's not the only sort of cycling :smile: :bicycle:

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Hello everyone I have recently got a new road bike and i joined a cycling club. So far I am able to do about 16 mph, 26kmh as my average pace. Its not very fast though, what would be a good goal to aim for in average speeds etc?

I am hoping to try and work my way up to the faster group in our cycling club. They do about 30kmh.

Any tips?

i ride solo and my normal average is a happy 15 - 16.5 mph on any distance up to 50 miles

i wouldnt worry about speed worry more about being safe and enjoying your rides

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Any tips?
You'll already have noticed that many cyclists enjoy riding for reasons apart from speed. However as you have asked the question I think my tips would be frequent rides, with shorter distances at greater speed, that you cannot maintain over a longer ride and just increase the distance gradually.

Riding in a club will probably be the best way to increase speed and also range, so you are already doing the right thing for you.

OP
OP
U

User48980

You'll already have noticed that many cyclists enjoy riding for reasons apart from speed. However as you have asked the question I think my tips would be frequent rides, with shorter distances at greater speed, that you cannot maintain over a longer ride and just increase the distance gradually.

Riding in a club will probably be the best way to increase speed and also range, so you are already doing the right thing for you.
Yeah, I am doing it for fitness but I also want to try doing some local competitions, and speed is key usually. I have cycled with the slower group a few times now. We did 65km, at 24kmh. then I cycled 30km extra, to the club and home.

Club cycling is really fun. I think I will be doing a lot of club cycles from now on.

I am not sure if it matters but I am 15. So maybe as I get older I will get slightly faster? with muscle development and stuff.

S-Express

Average / shmaverage - just ride your bike a lot and it will increase over time anyway. You are currently at an age where riding a lot will only make you faster, so get stuck in.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You say "want to work your way up to the faster group", which implies that there are slower ones. So join a slower one, get to know the club, the riding protocols and so forth, get to know your capabilities, and then you can set your goals to aim at both in terms of speed and distance.

A group of randoms on the internet aren't going to be able to advise on your goals. A good start might be: A little bit further and a little bit faster than you do at the moment.

If it makes you feel better, 26 km/h is significantly faster than I ride.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Yeah, I am doing it for fitness but I also want to try doing some local competitions, and speed is key usually. I have cycled with the slower group a few times now. We did 65km, at 24kmh. then I cycled 30km extra, to the club and home.

Club cycling is really fun. I think I will be doing a lot of club cycles from now on.

I am not sure if it matters but I am 15. So maybe as I get older I will get slightly faster? with muscle development and stuff.
Definitely with age you will become stronger band able to get faster. As others will point out *and as I have mentioned earlier) speed isn't the only thing.

However, I don from personal experience understand that the ability to ride comfortably at a range of paces is a wonderful ability to have.

So, if it floats your boat, crack on, you are certainly at the right age to invest in your abilities now as it will bring huge benefits later in your riding life.

Reactions: gbb

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Any tips?

As @S-Express says, don't get hung up on average speeds. You're already doing just fine from the sound of it.

Yeah, I am doing it for fitness but I also want to try doing some local competitions, and speed is key usually.

There's a lot more to competitive cycling than just speed. But if you are interested in competitive cycling then riding with a club is the perfect way to learn what you need to know. For example, you will learn how to ride safely in a bunch, which is hugely important. You will also learn tactics and technical riding skills - when to attack, when and how to conserve your energy etc.

Fantastic, this is great. At this stage of your cycling career, enjoying it is far more important than how fast you can go because it will give you the impetus to put in the required level of effort to improve.

Keep it up and you will probably know yourself when you're ready to join the faster group.

Definitely.

OP
OP
U

User48980

You say "want to work your way up to the faster group", which implies that there are slower ones. So join a slower one, get to know the club, the riding protocols and so forth, get to know your capabilities, and then you can set your goals to aim at both in terms of speed and distance.

A group of randoms on the internet aren't going to be able to advise on your goals. A good start might be: A little bit further and a little bit faster than you do at the moment.

If it makes you feel better, 26 km/h is significantly faster than I ride.
Yeah I am in the slower group, but it feels slightly to slow for me. Yet the faster group is to fast for me. and go for longer rides at the fast pace.

Any tips?
You're only 15year, 16mph sound great to me you'll certainly develop to the faster group in your own time don't rush it :-)

IIRC a young member of our club started about that speed at about the same age and a few months ago still racing in his junior gears he won a few big races and subsequently came 17th in a semi pro race, out sprinting Russell Downing :okay:

OP
OP
U

User48980

You're only 15year, 16mph sound great to me you'll certainly develop to the faster group in your own time don't rush it :-)

IIRC a young member of our club started about that speed at about the same age and a few months ago still racing in his junior gears he won a few big races and subsequently came 17th in a semi pro race, out sprinting Russell Downing :okay:
Wow nice!

Top Bottom