Audible Warning 'Obligation' - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Walking part of the Bure Valley bridlepath today, I encountered five cyclists who had approached from behind me at various times during my walk. The first two gave a cheery greeting in good time, no problem. The other three gave no audible warning of their approach at all, expecting me to perhaps, sense or hear that they were behind me - ?
I appreciate that bells or similar are no longer trendy, but can't cyclists at least give a suitable vocal indication of their presence - ? :whistle:

ExBrit

Über Member
I call out to people who appear to be inattentive or risky in some way. For example, accompanied by children or dogs, blocking the trail, walking on the wrong side, walking down the middle, enraptured by their cell phones, stumbling, drunk, flinging their arms around. In other words, almost everyone.

If you don't get a call out it's because you appear to be sober, considerate of other trail users, and generally above average.

Mind you, if the trail is a bit narrow everyone gets my bell.

ExBrit

Über Member
As long as you weren’t wandering across the path like a drunk I’m sure it was fine. Calling out can have the strangest affect on people, where they step into your path for reasons only known to themselves.

The number of times I've called out "Passing on your left" only to have the idiot step to their left straight into my path!
I think this should be merged with the "Things that really piss you off" thread.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
The number of times I've called out "Passing on your left" only to have the idiot step to their left straight into my path!
I think this should be merged with the "Things that really piss you off" thread.

My favourite is when you call out to a couple walking side by side and they both move to opposite sides of the path, so still blocking the way. If I had a penny for each time it happened, I'd have enough for a pint of your finest.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Walking part of the Bure Valley bridlepath today, I encountered five cyclists who had approached from behind me at various times during my walk. The first two gave a cheery greeting in good time, no problem. The other three gave no audible warning of their approach at all, expecting me to perhaps, sense or hear that they were behind me - ?
I appreciate that bells or similar are no longer trendy, but can't cyclists at least give a suitable vocal indication of their presence - ? :whistle:

Maybe they'd just slowed down waiting for a bit of the path that was wide enough to pass.

Obligation? I believe the trendy phrase is "get in the sea"

All uphill

Still rolling along

Maybe I'm an idiot because I understand this; if I'm walking absorbed in my thoughts and someone behind me shouts, it takes me a few seconds to work out what is happening.

If I'm in a busy place I should be alert and aware, but if I'm in a quiet place I'm probably just enjoying the moment.

When cycling near people walking I use my bell and don't get frustrated if I still need to slow right down. It's what we we ould like from people driving cars...

roley poley

Veteran
I cheerily tunelessly whistle as i go down the tow path as a tactic learned being a postman up and down peoples paths so they don't get surprised in my transit...:whistle: caveat..sometimes it doesn't work but i do try

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As a cyclist I'm conflicted on this and tend to only use the bell (in good time) if there's actually an obstuction or danger of one - i.e. the path is too narrow to pass without them moving, they're walking right in the middle, zig-zagging or there are multiple taking up all the path.

When walking myself I'm mindful of what's around me and and always ensure that I'm walking so that there's space to pass, if that's possible.

boydj

Legendary Member
Cyclists coming up behind walkers should always give some sort of audible warning well in advance and slow down if necessary even if the walkers are leaving room for cyclists to pass. Otherwise a walker may change direction without warning and conflict ensues.

The same really applies for slower cyclists. I've recently had faster cyclists come past at speed without a warning shout or bell and it's been disconcerting.

I always ring my bell coming up on walkers or slower cyclists and generally get a thank-you for it.

Airzound.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I say a greeting but sometimes while riding a bike with a loud freehub, I'll coast and even back pedal. I do that in plenty of time so it s a gradual sound that builds up.

A lot of people wear earphones though and I can't tell from a distance so need to be careful of that too.

I reckon everyone on CC gives a cheery hello as we are bike enthusiasts and are aware of these things.

Top Bottom